• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Might be a stupid question about the AR but I'd really like to know?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mirvin 264

Eagle Icon Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
440   0
Reaction score
What could possibly make an AR15 be worth $1000 and up? There can't be that much difference cost wise in the components. I've always wondered about this, so please educate the uneducated!

While some of it may be due to brand/manufacturer name (Colt, Daniel Defense, Aero Precision etc.) I’m certainly not an expert but I think there is actually a difference in the quality of parts you can have in your rifle. Some rifles are much more precise than others and the parts are machined to tighter tolerances. Or the steel and alloys they use might last longer, etc. Trigger quality is another thing too.

So while you may not notice it at first with a budget-cost AR, you will definitely appreciate a higher quality made AR over time the more you use it. For me, I expect to spend about $800-$1,500 (or more) on a good AR. It's the same as buying a quality 1911 handgun -- I wouldn't spend less than $1,000 on one.

This has some good explanations of things such as parts quality, the term "mil-spec" etc.: http://www.thenewrifleman.com/the-ar15-buyers-guide-simple-steps-for-buying-a-great-rifle/

I don't think any new ARs are worth a ****. Go irons or go home.

i.imgur.com_H3BnH6e.jpg_c4ca4238a0b923820dcc509a6f75849b.jpg

If you were blind folded driving a kia and a Mercedes you could tell the difference in quality just by riding in it. Same goes for ARs you pick up a less expensive rifle and shoot it then you pick up a POF or lwrc or DD and shoot it. You will feel the quality difference.

But it is alloys used, tighter tolerances fewer people touching any one gun. So a lot is just manufacturing cost. I am using LWRC because I am a fanboy but they make everything in house the whole rifle and all the components are made under the same roof. You call them up and have a question you get the owner.

You pay for quality and reliability. But it's really hard to explain I was a sceptical too you just have to hold and shoot one. Then you will understand.

While some of it may be due to brand/manufacturer name (Colt, Daniel Defense, Aero Precision etc.) I think there is actually a difference in a lot of the quality of parts you can have in your rifle. Some rifles are much more precise than others and the parts are machined to tighter tolerances. Or the steel and alloys they use might last longer, etc. Trigger quality is another thing too.

So while you may not notice it at first with a budget-cost AR, you will definitely appreciate a higher quality made AR over time the more you use it. For me, I expect to spend about $800-$1,500 (or more) on a good AR. It's the same as buying a quality 1911 handgun -- I wouldn't spend less than $1,000 on one.

This has some good explanations of things such as parts quality, the term "mil-spec" etc.: http://www.thenewrifleman.com/the-ar15-buyers-guide-simple-steps-for-buying-a-great-rifle/

Alot of good points here. Also some manufactures use different materials from say mil spec that are known to last. 1 example is the bolt in alot of bcg's is not made from 158 carpenter steel but a lower quality steel.

The word "custom".

lol, much like stippled. Some built guns (assembled at home) can be of very high quality if they put high quality parts in them. Just like everything else, you do get what you pay for. Buy quality known parts, assemble the weapon properly and you will have a quality rifle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom