• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Might need motor replaced

200k?
Just save your money for a good used engine when it blows. And drive the wheels off of it!
If you would have left it alone I'd bet you'd get at least another 100k
After someone other than me has been in it it's anyone's guess. (Just trust what I do vs someone I don't know. LOL)

NAPA will have the plastiguage. There are several ranges, you want to measure .003 to .008 or something like that. You might want to check that range.

If you are still running it, drop a quart of oil and put a quart of Lucas in it.

Your knock is not likely from the mains, but they aren't that bad to do. If your pressure is good, sounds more like that balance shaft and/or chain, esp with that mileage. Rods will knock when started cold , then quiet down, then knock like a machine gun on a quick throttle blip when hot, and oil pressure will show lower than normal.

Reactions: MRM
Me being me, I didn't let just anyone touch my truck, however, the guy is up and gone.
It is better than it was and might still have miles left on it.
I am letting someone borrow it, so, I would like for it to work.
I am short on time and don't really want to put much money into it right now.
Hence the voodoo bottom end magic. I just don't have the time to properly do it and let someone else try last time.

The used engines seem like gambling. The direct replacements are so old they are probably similar to mine.
If I actually used the truck I would spend for a good rebuilt or just get another truck.
200k?
Just save your money for a good used engine when it blows. And drive the wheels off of it!
If you would have left it alone I'd bet you'd get at least another 100k
After someone other than me has been in it it's anyone's guess. (Just trust what I do vs someone I don't know. LOL)

It has the symptoms of the rod knock with good oil pressure though.
Could the countershaft and chain be intermittent?
That helps, thanks.
NAPA will have the plastiguage. There are several ranges, you want to measure .003 to .008 or something like that. You might want to check that range.

If you are still running it, drop a quart of oil and put a quart of Lucas in it.

Your knock is not likely from the mains, but they aren't that bad to do. If your pressure is good, sounds more like that balance shaft and/or chain, esp with that mileage. Rods will knock when started cold , then quiet down, then knock like a machine gun on a quick throttle blip when hot, and oil pressure will show lower than normal.

May be worth a shot: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Lucas-Oil-Stabilizer-1-qt/16777811 ; read some reviews; change the oil/filter, and add this first, then the oil capacity(minus 1 qt.).

I really don't like snakeoil cures, but I tried this years ago (tried other types in the past with no luck) and it really works in my engines. I run it in everything I have over 150,000 miles, and have one SBC with over 350,000 and it is still running fine, no blue smoke.

Yes, the chain can be intermittent. A stethoscope comes in handy diagnosing engine noise. Take the funnel off the end and use a metal rod instead, and probe different areas of the engine. The sounds will be very scary!

Back
Top Bottom