• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Might need motor replaced

The first time I put a stethoscope on a 4.3, I heard sounds I never thought possible from a running engine. Clanks, rattles and knocks, and this is from a running engine with "no" noise when running.

You can hear mine, especially around 3000 RPM or a heavy load. You can definitely feel the power loss at high RPM's. Boss told me hes going to put a new motor in it soon.

So, are the junkyards now reimbursing installation costs for one of their engines that grenade 3 weeks after install?

You will have more than $500 tied up in installing a junker mot0r once you add labor and needed parts. Another 5 bills when they trade one junker for the next "good" junker. Money is better spent on a known good (factory new or rebuilt) engine. Else, cut your losses and buy another vehicle.
Any reputable yard will have it replaced with their mechanic free, unless they know you do quality work. There are some that are rip offs like that. I don't do business with them.

Ye
The first time I put a stethoscope on a 4.3, I heard sounds I never thought possible from a running engine. Clanks, rattles and knocks, and this is from a running engine with "no" noise when running.
yeah I have one of those, quite handy when trying to pin down an old noise.

It has had top end noise also, this is more of a pronounced knock instead of the lifter tick.
I thought about a donor vehicle.
I have about 6 months of the wife's car payment. Maybe it will just knock for 6 months. That is about as long as I need to get out of the weeds.
The donor vehicle would be good. I will look.
I'm no motor guru at all. But could the noise be coming from the top? We use chevy 2500 at work and we've had problems with lifters and rockers around the 200,000 mile time. Our trucks stay loaded pretty much all the time.

Junkyards dont pay labor if their part fails. Most good yards now days wont sell a questionable motor or trans because of the hassle of warranting it out. Find a good yard that offers a 3 to 6 month warranty that has good reviews by local shops and go with it. LKQ is the highest on the totem pole IMO.

YMMV

Reactions: MRM
Back
Top Bottom