• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

MIL vs MOA

Do you have any other optics in either MIL or MOA? If so I would recommend staying consistent. I have MIL for all of mine and am very happy with it.
I have learned to do some basic ranging using MIL but it does require math, memory and a steady hold on what you're ranging. The biggest thing to note though is to make sure your turrets match your reticle. I've seen MIL reticles with MOA turrets and that's a really bad idea.

What he said-- try to keep all your optics consistent, or you'll drive yourself crazy at the range, mumbling like a crazy person when you switch rifles.

And NEVER EVER buy one of those abominations (Obaminations?) that have a reticle using one, and the turrets using the other system. The genius that came up with that I hope is deservedly unemployed. But they are out there. Ugh. Life is way too short for dealing with that.

Otherwise, pick one. Yes, you can use the Milliradian system for ranging, way better than MOA. But... a laser rangefinder works best of all. Depends on what you are doing. Marine in the field? Milliradian, no question. Me on a bench? It matters not.

It does still bug me just a little bit, though.
www.worldwithoutend.info_wwe321wp_wp_content_uploads_2014_03_PS_0447_CDO_OCD.jpg

The biggest thing to note though is to make sure your turrets match your reticle. I've seen MIL reticles with MOA turrets and that's a really bad idea.

I have an older Leopold that is mil/MOA and I don't really have a problem with it. I adjust zero thinking in MOA, then range or hold over in mils. If I'm dialing in the come ups I just do it in MOA. I guess this is then rifleman version of bilingual.

To the OP: I think either is fine if you learn how to use them. Mil is probably more useful, just because the gradations in the reticle aren't as fine so the reticle is not as cluttered.

Otherwise, pick one. Yes, you can use the Milliradian system for ranging, way better than MOA. But... a laser rangefinder works best of all. Depends on what you are doing. Marine in the field? Milliradian, no question. Me on a bench? It matters not.

Mils aren't better for ranging than MOA, they're equally easily. Formulae are the same, you just use a different constant. Actually, you could say that Shooter's MOA is the easiest.

Formulae:

Mils: (size of target in inches X 27.778) / measurement in mils = range in yards

True MOA: (size of target in inches X 95.5) / measurement in MOA = range in yards

Shooter's MOA: (size of target in inches X 100) / measurement in MOA = range in yards

Obviously, those formulae are for measuring the target in inches and figuring the range in yards. There are also formulae for measuring the targets with other imperial and metric units, and for getting and answer in yards. 13 formulae total, if anyone wants them.

You can see, using Shooter's MOA makes the equation a little easier because you can do the first step in your head. Knocks off a few seconds, if that matters to you. Not many reticle use Shooter's MOA, however; all the ones I can think of use True MOA.

Convert MOA to mils: MOA X .296 = mils

Convert mils to MOA: mils / .296 = MOA

Because I have to be able to teach both systems, and sometimes loan scopes to students, I own about an equal number of mil and MOA scopes. I can range equally well and quickly with either system. I don't have any issues calling corrections in either system, but I've been doing this a long time.

Ranging formulae

*Note: The formulae that use "moa" are using the true MOA of 1.047" at 100yds. The ones using "s-moa" are using "shooter's MOA" of 1" at 100yds. You need to know which type of MOA your scope is set up for.

Height of Target (yards) x 1000 = Distance to Target (yards)
mils

Height of Target (inches) x 27.778 = Distance to Target (yards)
mils

Height of Target (inches) x 25.4 = Distance to Target (meters)
mils

Height of Target (meters) x 1000 = Distance to Target (meters)
mils

Height of Target (cm) x 10 = Distance to Target (meters)
mils

Height of Target (inches) x 95.5 = Distance to Target (yards)
moa

Height of Target (inches) x 87.32 = Distance to Target (meters)
moa

Height of Target (meters) x 3437.75 = Distance to Target (meters)
moa

Height of Target (cm) x 34.37 = Distance to Target (meters)
moa

Height of Target (inches) x 100 = Distance to Target (yards)
s- moa

Height of Target (inches) x 91.44 = Distance to Target (meters)
s- moa

Height of Target (meters) x 3600 = Distance to Target (meters)
s- moa

Height of Target (cm) x 36 = Distance to Target (meters)
s-moa

The formula I always remember for mils is:

Size of target (units)/size of target (mils) x 1000 = distance to target(units). Just keep the same units and you are good. Size of object in yards = range in yards. Height or width each work.

It is important to remember that unless you have a first focal plane optic it only works at one magnification. For those that may not know, first focal plane means the reticle gets bigger if you turn up the scope magnification. If the reticle stays the same a regardless of scope power setting them you have a second focal plane scope.

Most second plane scope manufacturers I've dealt with say the reticle "works" at the highest power setting; however, I have found this is not always exactly accurate. I always double check with a known target at a known range to see which power setting matches.

And yes, it could just be MY eyes that are off; but they're the eyes I'll be using!

Do you shoot with other people? if not shoot what you want to as long as the turrets and reticle are the same. The main reason to shoot Mil/mil besides being tacticool is because most competitors shoot Mil/mil and its easier to make corrections for your peers if you shoot the same setup. MOA is more precise and easier to calculate. For what its worth 1 MOA IS NOT 1 inch at 100 yards when ranging.

Back
Top Bottom