• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Military move to Kansas. (Suggestions on road trip)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 39693

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
12   0
Reaction score
Hello ODT
Advice/suggestions wanted!
My daughter just graduated osut fort benning 2 weeks ago, got to come home to do hometown recruiting , and now she is to report to her first duty station. Fort Riley Kansas
New car(new to her car 2020 with under 20k miles had checked out by 2 mechanics), loaded down , just mom/daughter road trip (I’m flying back)
Have a few different routes , thru Atlanta, or thru Birmingham, going to take turns driving. No time for sight seeing
Considering taking my beloved G21, shipping back thru FFL , before I fly back
Edit: reason for shipping back and not taking thru airline is I am staying the night at hotel on base.

I’ll be making the trip again in late September to deliver her mustang gt from high school days! U haul truck and car trailer (will be flying back then also)
Have helped my son move a few times during his 8 years (he’s army also) but this is longest road trip I ve had to do so far,.
Thanks and have a blessed day

Attachments

• 843DDE1A-DBEB-4CFA-964C-A964195D1167.jpeg
    843DDE1A-DBEB-4CFA-964C-A964195D1167.jpeg
    226.5 KB · Views: 111
I've traveled through on my way to Wyoming a few times. Went Atlanta to Nashville to St. Louis then west. Was the quickest way I found. I wasn't sightseeing either just wanted to get where I was going.

Also thank you, your children and your family for the sacrifice and service that all of you are making.

I agree with Just Plain Bill., that's probably going to be your fastest route driving.

When I lived in Kansas City, I worked at a small contracting company in Leavenworth, KS., doing mostly contracts for the Army.

Too bad you don't have time for sight seeing. In the far NE corner of Ft. Leavenworth along the Missouri River, there's a place along the bank with a lot of ruts on both sides of the river. I asked one of the military people if there was training/maneuvers going on there, and he told me no (lol), that was the start of the Oregon and Santa Fe trails. Those ruts were remains from western expansion in the mid 1800s, folks heading west through K.C. and Liberty, MO to seek their destiny. Pretty cool to see that and think of all the folks heading into the western unknown at that time.

I took the route to Birmingham and then into Mississippi and I was sleeping in Kansas City by midnight on my Oregon trip a couple weeks ago. I came back through Nashville on a Saturday, and there was a 50 mile traffic jam heading north into and past Huntsville. It's a lonely road through Miss., but it's better than sitting in traffic.

No matter what route, driving through Kansas sux....

We're doing the Wichita, Nashville, Birmingham route on the way to GA next time..... It's still letting me stop at JoeBob's Outfitters so that's something to look forward to.

Second that on driving through Kansas! Long straight and flat. The highway hypnosis is a real thing. Drive safely!

You don't have to mail your firearm home if you check the requirements with your airline.

For Delta, you need a checked bag, a lockable case for the gun (NOT tsa grade lock, an actual padlock), and a box for your ammunition. (You need to secure the ammo in the same case you have the gun so that it can be locked). You make sure it's totally unloaded, all ammo in the ammo box (I use a plastic one I picked up from Academy, but a standard ammo cardboard box will do). You go to the special services desk at the airport, state you have a handgun to declare, and they will typically want to put eyes on it to verify it exists, then give you a card to sign that swears it is unloaded. They then take your checked bag with the locked case within and turn it over to "oversize baggage" screening / TSA, or they walk you to that, or they show you where that is and point you on your way. Procedures vary from airport to airport and clerk to clerk.

Don't take my word for it, though. Find the answers on your airline's website. It isn't a difficult thing to do, so long as you're legal in your state of departure and arrival.

Upon landing, your bag will likely be held in "oversized baggage" not on the main carousel. Sometimes it DOES pop on the regular luggage dispenser, but most times it's behind the counter and you gotta show I.D. to retrieve it. Delta typically "peace ties" the luggage with giant zip ties, but I always find a quiet spot, dig out my toenail clippers, and remove the zip tie so I can verify that my locked case is still in the luggage. I don't open the locked case, figuring a thief would make off with the whole case, and I don't want trouble from the police. At my car I reload and rearm before driving off.

I've traveled through on my way to Wyoming a few times. Went Atlanta to Nashville to St. Louis then west. Was the quickest way I found. I wasn't sightseeing either just wanted to get where I was going.

Also thank you, your children and your family for the sacrifice and service that all of you are making.
Looks like the best route, wanted to avoid Atlanta but would cost me a few hours

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom