• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Mineral Spirits on Firearm Non-Metal Parts

Almost all gun parts are some form of PA (nylon) that I am aware. That said not all thermoplastics play nice with MS. Doubtful mineral spirits would harm what you’re working with but I wouldn’t personally soak them. I wouldn’t hesitate to apply, clean and remove especially as a last resort though. If you can verify what they’re made of then game on.

FYI:
Gun Scrubber started to dissolve my Marlin Camp 9 trigger gaurd 25+/- years ago. It left the safety hard to operate as it is part of the trigger guard. It happened in just a few minutes, had to soak it down in water to save it. I use concentrated Simple Green on plastic and steel on( great on Glocks for me) , but not on Aluminum. Simple Green is said to damage Anodizing.

All solvents can dissolve some plastics.

FYI:
Gun Scrubber started to dissolve my Marlin Camp 9 trigger gaurd 25+/- years ago. It left the safety hard to operate as it is part of the trigger guard. It happened in just a few minutes, had to soak it down in water to save it. I use concentrated Simple Green on plastic and steel on( great on Glocks for me) , but not on Aluminum. Simple Green is said to damage Anodizing.

All solvents can dissolve some plastics.
Marlin 60 trigger guard was the one that I had experience with melting with carb cleaner.

Rosewood

Back
Top Bottom