• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Mini 14 Guru's: I need a few questions answered.

The later models have scope mount which I prefer, there are flash suppressor out there for it. I bought a nice suppressor for mine; just had to pin it on. Google it for some selection. I also put an Accu-Strut on mine, not sure it helps alot, but looks cool.

Thanks for all the answers guys! Before I take ownership of one in the next day or so is there any recommended ammo for 1) plinking 2) and for hunting?

Last edited:
GA22RE,

Wally world was carrying the 581 series with wood stocks and scope mounts with rings for around 600 bucks a few weeks ago. You can always buy an aftermarket flash hider and may be able to have the muzzle threaded, but I'm not sure there is room because of the front site. I love ODT and hope this isn't bad protocol but if you are really wanting to dig into Mini14 stuff check out this link: http://www.perfectunion.com/vb/ruger-mini-14-mini-30/

Ga22re, hello fellow toyota owner :)

The newest mini 14's are 581 series, not 580, and the 581 Tactical models (16.1 inch barrel with birdcage flash hider) have the 1/2x28 thread size you want for the common .223 suppressor. All the 580 & 581 series models have the built in scope mounts too.. in other words, they're now only building the ranch model receivers.

Wood stocks can be bought from Ruger and swapped out if your's comes with the synthetic stock... and it's possible that the older mini14 stocks fit this new series. The Choate folding stock is a nice option too.

No real worries if you do decide to get an earlier 180's, 190's series mini14 GB model (government model barrel), or the 580 series Tactical model...

...if you get a suppressor that's the quick disconnect model, that manufacturer will sell the flash hider lug threaded in 9/16x24 so you won't have to use a thread adapter device, which increases the risk of baffle strikes due to misalignment.

Yeah I really should change my username. Sold my lifted yota a few months ago. Great truck (have owned three) just needed something larger for the family. That's interesting what you said about the newer one's with the synthetic stocks. I had my suspicions that the female customer service rep at Ruger did not really know what she was talking about when she mentioned that a lot of parts had to be changed out to swap stocks. There is one thing I'm trying to understand: In the last sentence are you referring to a Rifle that already came with a flash suppressor from the factory? Thanks again for the help!

Back
Top Bottom