• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Mini fighter and mini cleaver set complete

synspeed

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
74   0
Reaction score
Bowie/fighter is 52100 and the mini cleaver is 01. Both are stonewashed. Stabilized cholla scales. Maker's mark still needs to be etched and they need edges. But otherwise, complete.
20170827_145156.jpg
20170827_123350.jpg
20170827_123334.jpg

Great looking scales. I have just started making some simple knives so I have a couple questions if you don't mind.

1 where did you source the cholla scales ?

2 what suggestions do you have for making a makers mark?

Any help or input is appreciated.

Great looking scales. I have just started making some simple knives so I have a couple questions if you don't mind.

You likely won't find scales like this on a website or anything. These are custom made by a buddy. If you're not on Instagram, do so. You'll find everything you need there through all the different people who make very custom stuff.

As far as a logo, all mine are laser marked. But I used to chemical etch (I.e. Etchomatic). I didnt find it to be consistent enough, but lots of makers use it everyday with great success.

When I saw "mini" i wasn't sure if you meant smaller or those novelty knives with the 1" blades. Those look great. I have an old Ka-Bar cleaver about that size or a little smaller I found at an antique store. It isn't nearly that nice though.
Professional wood stabilizers are making some really cool scales now. The ones with the pockets of acrylic in them look even more unique.
Besides the sites that sell stabilized blanks, there are actually some companies that will stabilized wood for you. If you start looking for some burl or spalted wood you really like there are some businesses that will finish it the way you want it. Wish I could give the names but it has been a long time since I've been on those sites.

Back
Top Bottom