• UPGRADE UPDATE 3 - More stuff is fixed now. Please check here and report any issues . Thanks!

Mini-Mags vs Stingers vs Velocitors

GeauxLSU

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
Corn Pop
Staff member
Super Moderator
57   0
Reaction score
I'm wondering why when people talk about .22lr with the most 'power' people always default to Mini-Mags or Stingers? :confused:
Do they just genuinely not know or is it just marketing/familiarity?

Go here. https://www.cci-ammunition.com/compare?pid0=6-31&pid1=6-50&pid2=6-47&cgid=rimfire&backUrl=
Scroll down and change the chart to show energy after you look at velocity.
I guess if you shot everything inside of 10 yards, Stingers 'might' make sense. But Velocitors have always been the energy leader (40 grain bullet, aka 25% heavier) retaining over 100 pounds of energy at 100 yards, yet get no love. They have as much energy at 100 yards as Stingers do at 60. Mini-Mags aren't even in the game. I get a .22 isn't a 100 yard hunting weapon generally speaking but even at 50 yards it's 134 lbs vs 119 lbs. That's more than material when dealing with such a low energy round.
I'm a believer in 'speed kills' but a fast feather isn't as lethal as a fast nail. I keep a .22lr loaded for critter deterrent. It's always loaded with Velocitors.

hikingthehills

The Lego that laid the Golden Hen
64   0
Reaction score
When squirrel hunting I always go for headshots just to add an element of challenge to it. Mini mags or my 22 mag has always been great! You put a 22 pill of any kind in their head it seems to do the trick.

CBH13

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
137   0
Reaction score
i always assumed it was due to availability. used to be able to find mini mag literally everywhere. i would see stingers around but not near as mcuh and very rarely actually swa velocitors sitting on the shelf

GeauxLSU

Corn Pop
Staff member
Super Moderator
57   0
Reaction score
Put an Interceptor in a coyote's chest head on at 75 yards day before yesterday. He acted like he was going to crumple but regrouped, took it like a boss and ran off. Couldn't find him. :mad:

Top Bottom