• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Minimim Pistol Skill for Disinterested Owner?

How challenging should the test be?

• Like a law enforcement qualification shoot, including reloads on the clock.

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • Like an armed security guard qualification shoot.

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Like the "carry permit qualification" shoot mandated by your state or some neighboring state.

• Like the NRA's "defensive pistol I" shoot.

• even easier-- 10 seconds to fire 5 aimed shots at 10" plate from 15 feet.

Votes: 7 31.8%
  • no aiming required-- 10 seconds to get 3 hits out of 3-6 shots fired. 10" target, 12 feet.

• plenty of time- 30 seconds, 3 out of 5 hits, 10" target, 12 feet.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • any body hit counts- 30 seconds, 3 hits out of up to 5 shots, target 10" wide and 20" tall, 12 ft.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I think something that gets over looked constantly is being able to safely manipulate the pistol: drop the mag, clear the chamber, lock the slide to the rear, or insert fresh mag, close the slide(however you want), all while keeping your booger picker off out of the trigger guard and being aware of where the muzzle is pointed. I think if you can safely do those things while keeping a good grip on the firearm you will most likely have no problem hitting a silhouette size target at common defensive range.

Based on your scenario I don't feel anyone that has a gun stuck in the drawer and doesn't shoot much would be competent after 1 or 2 sessions at the range. Competence comes with confidence. You don't gain confidence in your shooting skills in one or two trips to the range. You need trigger time, as much as possible.
I would agree to take them to the range and check out what they feel they know but leave with the instructions that if they want to actually be competent with any firearm they need to practice regularly and practice more than just trying to put a couple of holes in the center of the target. Either get some training from a qualified instructor or even participate on some of the local matches like GADPA, IPSC or GSSF.
All of those will help with your handling skills and multiple target acquisition at various ranges.

JMO

Know a woman with a S&W in the box she has had since the 80's, it has never been fired,yet she keeps it in her nightsatnd and wipes it down regularly and feels safe with it there.

In my experience, we novices need time handling the gun.

When I take my daughter to the range, I give her mags loaded with 3 bullets, so she gets a lot of practice working the gun. She gets much more practical practice from handling 10 mags that are each loaded with 3 bullets, than two mags loaded with 15 bullets.

Hmm..... so there'd be no accuracy standard, but the goal is to practice safe gun handling and muzzle discipline while moving station to station?

Absolutely. Hit a human target at 10 yards. 7 yards. The accuracy requirement is SLIGHTLY over-hyped in my mind. I don't care so much about an accuracy standard as I do muzzle discipline, finger off the trigger unless firing and safe draw/holster/reload practices. When you hear about people getting injured it's usually because someone did something stupid. I know guys that can hit a 3x5 card at 30 yards all day long but I'd never want to be around them when they're carrying concealed and have to use their weapon.

Hmm..... so there'd be no accuracy standard, but the goal is to practice safe gun handling and muzzle discipline while moving station to station?

It's a major effort for me to get up and go to the bathroom the 4 dozen times a day I have to go pee. I don't see that me moving anywhere has anything to do with firearms proficiency for home defense, or personal protection when I am out and about. If I can, I'm moving to suitable cover and then I'm staying there.

I think if you can safely do those things while keeping a good grip on the firearm you will most likely have no problem hitting a silhouette size target at common defensive range.

I encourage you to try and watch some LEO annual qualifications. The number of holes outside the black on a B-25 target is astounding.

A lot of administrative types make the annual qualification (barely) and that's it until next year.

I encourage you to try and watch some LEO annual qualifications. The number of holes outside the black on a B-25 target is astounding.

A lot of administrative types make the annual qualification (barely) and that's it until next year.
I believe you, but I was just talking about minimal important skills for someone not interested in firearms. Those LEO better be way past the basic stuff. I think the odds of shooting yourself or someone else by mishandling and poor technique(moving your pistol, cleaning it, forgetting where you stored it...) are much much higher than ever using your firearm for a defensive role (especially if it's just in the house somewhere and not on their person) so that's why I think the handling/manipulating the firearm and knowledge of being safe is more important than marksmanship for someone who's never going to shoot anyways. I am no expert and am probably wrong lol.

How to be safe. Ability to hit a 10" paper plate 10 of 12 times at 10 yards. If they become interested they can progress from there.

This is pretty much what I do in these situations.
Teach them how to operate the gun. Make sure they operate the functions by themselves. Loading, pulling the slide back, saftey on/saftey off.
Teach them how to aim.
Tape a paper plate to the standard issue range target and let them shoot a few rounds into it to see how they're aiming.
Be encouraging and don't get upset if they're not catching on right away.

Later on, when they're more used to shooting, then you can start doing drills. But to start out, just show them they can pull the trigger without hurting themselves and hit the target. Once you do that, you'll find that they have more confidence and you can slowly move them into more complicated training.

Back
Top Bottom