• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Minimim Pistol Skill for Disinterested Owner?

How challenging should the test be?

• Like a law enforcement qualification shoot, including reloads on the clock.

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • Like an armed security guard qualification shoot.

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Like the "carry permit qualification" shoot mandated by your state or some neighboring state.

• Like the NRA's "defensive pistol I" shoot.

• even easier-- 10 seconds to fire 5 aimed shots at 10" plate from 15 feet.

Votes: 7 31.8%
  • no aiming required-- 10 seconds to get 3 hits out of 3-6 shots fired. 10" target, 12 feet.

• plenty of time- 30 seconds, 3 out of 5 hits, 10" target, 12 feet.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • any body hit counts- 30 seconds, 3 hits out of up to 5 shots, target 10" wide and 20" tall, 12 ft.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Safety stats are heavily influenced by who takes the training. Folks that seek out training are safety conscious, more so than the average population. It follows that they will have a lower incident rate. This was demonstrated time and again by the FAA
WINGS - Pilot Proficiency Program. It was/is a voluntary ongoing safety training program. It has long demonstrated a lower accident rate by participants than the general pilot population. Is it because of the training or the mindset of those who VOLUNTARILY opt for additional training (not legally required for their license) ?

The belief is the lower accident rate has nothing to do with the training, it is a result of self selection of like minded safety conscious pilots. They might as well hold their meetings at the Pink Pony, and skip going to the airport to do them, if the same group of pilots choose to participate.

Gun owners that choose to not acquire a CCW, or take any form of instruction are not likely to benefit from mandatory training, they just aren't interested or think it is important.
I think I understand what you are saying.
Overall stats from similar States are close to the same, regardless of the reasons. However I agree with your reasoning.

I think I understand what you are saying.
Overall stats from similar States are close to the same, regardless of the reasons. However I agree with your reasoning.

I am not disagreeing with you, either. The CCW family is a small subset of gun owners, and what I am using as a self selected group of gun owners.

And that required training thing in SC (and non-reciprocity) always stuck in my craw, as I had family in SC and traveled frequently to visit.

I am not disagreeing with you, either. The CCW family is a small subset of gun owners, and what I am using as a self selected group of gun owners.

And that required training thing in SC (and non-reciprocity) always stuck in my craw, as I had family in SC and traveled frequently to visit.
They do no recognize our permits. Have about two years now.

They do no recognize our permits. Have about two years now.

Last family there passed several years ago, so no help for me.

On the same line of thinking, want to save several hundred bucks? Most insurance companies (USAA, for sure) will offer you a discount if you take a voluntary Safe Driving course. It is all done online, no classroom of skill test involved. Takes less than an hour. Does that training make you any safer? Absolutely not, but it does identify you as a safety conscious driver and less likely to get in an accident than the average driver. If this was not proven by their own stats, the ins companies would not offer the discounts.

Here's a link to what the command staff LEO said would be a good qualifation shoot for armed citizens.

It's the Georgia LEO's shoot for back-up or off-duty firearms.

https://www.gapost.org/pdf_file/BackupWeapon_COF_2017.pdf

i'm not a fan of this because like the official Georgia POST qualification for duty pistols, as it requires the person to shoot from
-- behind a barricade (not allowed at most ranges)
-- shoot from the kneeling position (which you have to get into while the clock is running) and
--you have to shoot with the weak hand only.

This weekend I went to an indoor range.
I made it a point to check out the rest of the firing line and see who was shooting what style at what distance and what group sizes they were getting.

All of the pistol shooters, and even some of the AR-15 rifle shooters, were firing from spitting distance --about 20 feet.

A couple of the best ones were getting groups the size of a coffee can at that distance, but most of the others were getting "groups" the size of a trash can lid.
Covering the entire human size silhouette target.
The groups were as wide as the paper --from nose to testicles, and shoulder to shoulder.

As for safety, several people pointed their guns completely sideways (perpendicular to the target) and thus directing the muzzle at the person in the next stall, the next shooting lane, over. At least most of those incidents had a lane divider that might have some ballistic protection. I probably spent no more than four minutes observing the other shooters, but in that short time I did see one lady step back from the firing line and hold her pistol pointing down the firing line, at the heads and chests of every single other person in the range that day.

p.s. this range had hundreds of bullet holes in the ceiling, hundreds of bullet scrapes and marks along the concrete walls, hundreds of scratches and chips taken out of the floor, some only a few feet forward of the firing line.
Some of the lane partitions and shooting tables were also shot up.

Yeah, it seems that we, collectively, are in need of training both ends to marksmanship and basic gun handling and safety .

5 sec 5 rounds 12ft and all have to be on target center mass. If you cant do that in a controlled environment your likely going to be pretty dangerous in a high tension environment.

Back
Top Bottom