• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Minimim Pistol Skill for Disinterested Owner?

How challenging should the test be?

• Like a law enforcement qualification shoot, including reloads on the clock.

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • Like an armed security guard qualification shoot.

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Like the "carry permit qualification" shoot mandated by your state or some neighboring state.

• Like the NRA's "defensive pistol I" shoot.

• even easier-- 10 seconds to fire 5 aimed shots at 10" plate from 15 feet.

Votes: 7 31.8%
  • no aiming required-- 10 seconds to get 3 hits out of 3-6 shots fired. 10" target, 12 feet.

• plenty of time- 30 seconds, 3 out of 5 hits, 10" target, 12 feet.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • any body hit counts- 30 seconds, 3 hits out of up to 5 shots, target 10" wide and 20" tall, 12 ft.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I hang a target at 15 yards and give them 5 rounds to be fired in 30 seconds. I then sit 10 tacos on a plate, 5 for them and 5 for me. For every round that they miss, I eat one of their tacos. If they miss all 5 and don't get a taco, no matter how angry they become, I laugh while eating all of their tacos. What are they going to do at that point, shoot me?

Since my brother and I just got micro-sized .380 pocket pistols, we have been doing more shooting than normal with these tiny guns, almost all at close range of 5 or 7 yards. A few shots at 10 yards.

Here's what I think is a good course of fire that is modified from the Georgia Peace Officer Standards and Training council (POST) back-up gun qualification shoot.

It's modified to eliminate using barricades, eliminate drawing from the holster (or from the pocket), and no kneeling. And there will be only 1 target, not two full-sized humanoid targets placed side by side to each other. (Many indoor shooting ranges don't have a target carrier system that can do two big targets spaced out like that). And I modified it to say that body shots that aren't in the head or center of chest are only worth 6 points, not 10. The POST scoring says 8. No way should you get 80% credit for nicking the bad guy's love handles on the edges of his belly, or putting a bullet through his cheek outside of the jaw.

All shooting begins with the weapon in your hand (or hands) at the low-ready position, pointing at the bottom edge of the target paper (about knee-height on a man). All shooting will be done at just one man-sized silhouette target with a chest target zone 9" diameter (a paper dinner plate) and a head zone the size of a softball (4" diameter).

Stage #1: From 15 yards, on signal, bring the gun up, aim it, and fire 1 body shot in 4 seconds. You can hold the gun however you want. Repeat this 3 more time. Total of 4 shots fired from individually at this distance. Each shot has its own 4-second time limit.

Stage #2: From 10 yards, holding the gun in whatever hand or hands you wish, on signal, aim and shoot 4 body shots within 8 seconds.

Stage #3: (failure to stop scenario) From 7 yards, holding the gun however you want, on signal, shoot the BODY twice, then aim for the head and shoot the HEAD twice. Complete all 4 shots within 8 seconds.

Stage #4: (faster shooting): From 7 yards, holding the gun however you want, on signal raise it and shoot 4 body shots within 5 seconds.

Stage #5: (dominant hand only): From 7 yards, using only a 1-handed grip, on signal, aim and fire 2 shots within 3 seconds.

Stage #6: (weak hand only): From 7 yards, using only your weak hand, on signal aim and fire 2 shots within 3 seconds.

Stage #7: (point shooting): From 3 yards, holding the gun no higher than middle-chest level (DO NOT USE THE SIGHTS TO AIM), on signal, raise gun from low ready and point-shoot 2 shots in 2 seconds. Reset timer and repeat, for a total of 4 shots fired at this closest distance.

Total shots fired at all distances: 24.

SCORING: A hit in the appropriate head or body kill zone would be 10 points.

A hit on the target's "body" but outside those scoring zones is 6 points.

Any shot fired after the time has expired is a miss. If you're not sure which hole in the target that is, assume it's the best shot you made during that stage. That "10" becomes a "zero."

PASSING SCORE: 80%, so that requires 190 points out of the possible 240.

FE4CABA7-6C72-4F00-BBE1-2C842979CAAC.gif

Well, I found that my KelTec P3AT can only group 20" at 25 yards.
That's with the laser sight, two hand hold, hands resting on the shooting bench, squeezing the trigger very slowly. The red dot was always within a few inches of dead center when the shot fired.
Yet my hits were all over the human torso target, and only 4 out of 5 shots hit the paper.
One shot was a miss. I tried this twice and got the same results.

Well, I found that my KelTec P3AT can only group 20" at 25 yards.
That's with the laser sight, two hand hold, hands resting on the shooting bench, squeezing the trigger very slowly. The red dot was always within a few inches of dead center when the shot fired.
Yet my hits were all over the human torso target, and only 4 out of 5 shots hit the paper.
One shot was a miss. I tried this twice and got the same results.
I believe it. That trigger is brutal

attackers dont cut you any slack cause you're not a pro, guys. Everyone needs to be either really fast, or not risk carrying a gun that's just going to get shoved up your butt and then used on other people. The quickest, easiest way to real ability is to use a kahr CM9 9mm in a kydex front pants pocket holster. Nobody pays any attention to the fact that your hands are in your pockets and that pocket draw is by FAR the fastest, most reliable ccw draw. Most of the time, if you get your gun pointed at the guy,from 6 ft or more away, he'll just flee. and MISSES have changed a LOT of minds, too. He/she can train very effectively in their garage, shed, basement or backyard with an airsoft copy of their pocket pistol. 1/2c per shot, very quiet, no range trip or fees. I recommend a Taurus PT22 in .22lr as a low-cost practice gun. It's not reliable or powerful enough to be the actual carry gun, tho Practice with normal 9mm ball ammo, but CARRY the 100 gr Corbon powrball jhp's, cause they have 370 ft lbs of power, in the 3" barrel, are controlable in a lw, compact gun, reliably expand the jhp in flesh and get adequate penetration.

crap almost always starts from 10 ft away or less. A guy can be all OVER you from 10 ft away in 1 second flat, standing start. If he DIVES upon you, after takinig one step, he'll be wrassing with you in less than 3/4 second. It takes you .20 second to react and fire, even when you know what the signal will be, that it will come in 2-4 seconds, and what you should do when you notice the signal, already pointing your gun at the target. When you have to traverse the gun over to the target, that adds at least another .20 second. When have to DECIDE what to do, that takes another .20 second (minimum, probably double that) and if you are not a born killer, you may find yourself unable to fire at ALL at another human being. So this slowfire bs is just not adequate, not even close. you are either lightning fast with that gun, or you're going to need black belt skill just to "buy" enough time and space in which to bring your gun into play. Most attacks are not made with a gun, especially vs the elderly and women. People can have you on your butt faster than you can imagine, from 10 ft away. A little bit of bar fight experience, football practice, high school wrestling, etc and attackers KNOW what the can do, and how fast they need to do it. Dont kid yourself about this stuff.

Back
Top Bottom