• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Minimim Pistol Skill for Disinterested Owner?

How challenging should the test be?

• Like a law enforcement qualification shoot, including reloads on the clock.

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • Like an armed security guard qualification shoot.

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Like the "carry permit qualification" shoot mandated by your state or some neighboring state.

• Like the NRA's "defensive pistol I" shoot.

• even easier-- 10 seconds to fire 5 aimed shots at 10" plate from 15 feet.

Votes: 7 31.8%
  • no aiming required-- 10 seconds to get 3 hits out of 3-6 shots fired. 10" target, 12 feet.

• plenty of time- 30 seconds, 3 out of 5 hits, 10" target, 12 feet.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • any body hit counts- 30 seconds, 3 hits out of up to 5 shots, target 10" wide and 20" tall, 12 ft.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Hmm..... so there'd be no accuracy standard, but the goal is to practice safe gun handling and muzzle discipline while moving station to station?
I kinda agree with this statement about idpa. It’s cute for all the guys here to brag about one hole groups and I’d do this or that. Unfortunately 99% of people responding have never had to use a firearm in a real situation. The listed quals are great for a reference but none of that matters if they pick up the gun and shoot them selves on the way to the bedroom door to take up a defensive posture. As far as the actual shooting goes I can’t understand why guys always seem to shoot 25 yard targets. Is your house that big? Do you plan on shooting someone out in the yard? Personally I’d think that the first thing that should be addressed in whether someone is competent or not is the mindset of will they actually pull the trigger. As far as rounds on target, aimed vs point shooting, accuracy, and all that goes out the window in an armed conflict. 5 feet and defend “ until the threat stops” . Could mean 1 round, could mean all 5 in a 38, could mean a mag dump then using the empty gun as a club.
All that is just my opinion and from the training and lessons I picked up in the last 30 years of shooting pistols. For the record I’ve taken top gun in my mandate class, bcot class and received over 500 hours of ga POST training through the years. As well as shooting gssf for 10+ years and competing off and on since I was 15.

attackers dont cut you any slack cause you're not a pro, guys. Everyone needs to be either really fast, or not risk carrying a gun that's just going to get shoved up your butt and then used on other people. The quickest, easiest way to real ability is to use a kahr CM9 9mm in a kydex front pants pocket holster. Nobody pays any attention to the fact that your hands are in your pockets and that pocket draw is by FAR the fastest, most reliable ccw draw. Most of the time, if you get your gun pointed at the guy,from 6 ft or more away, he'll just flee. and MISSES have changed a LOT of minds, too. He/she can train very effectively in their garage, shed, basement or backyard with an airsoft copy of their pocket pistol. 1/2c per shot, very quiet, no range trip or fees. I recommend a Taurus PT22 in .22lr as a low-cost practice gun. It's not reliable or powerful enough to be the actual carry gun, tho Practice with normal 9mm ball ammo, but CARRY the 100 gr Corbon powrball jhp's, cause they have 370 ft lbs of power, in the 3" barrel, are controlable in a lw, compact gun, reliably expand the jhp in flesh and get adequate penetration.

crap almost always starts from 10 ft away or less. A guy can be all OVER you from 10 ft away in 1 second flat, standing start. If he DIVES upon you, after takinig one step, he'll be wrassing with you in less than 3/4 second. It takes you .20 second to react and fire, even when you know what the signal will be, that it will come in 2-4 seconds, and what you should do when you notice the signal, already pointing your gun at the target. When you have to traverse the gun over to the target, that adds at least another .20 second. When have to DECIDE what to do, that takes another .20 second (minimum, probably double that) and if you are not a born killer, you may find yourself unable to fire at ALL at another human being. So this slowfire bs is just not adequate, not even close. you are either lightning fast with that gun, or you're going to need black belt skill just to "buy" enough time and space in which to bring your gun into play. Most attacks are not made with a gun, especially vs the elderly and women. People can have you on your butt faster than you can imagine, from 10 ft away. A little bit of bar fight experience, football practice, high school wrestling, etc and attackers KNOW what the can do, and how fast they need to do it. Dont kid yourself about this stuff.

This is ridiculous

Welcome to the trader

Don’t shoot your d*** off

some things are yes or no, flat out. Are you competent to drive at the Indy 500? if not, better stay off of that track. Punks are going to hit you just as fast, throw you down just as hard, as they would anyone. If you're not able to handle that, stick to having a knife, so you can sneakily mark them and cops can arrest them for your death. There's no in between If you're not going to really drive/shoot, you dont belong out there on that track/gunfight, with them driving off with your car/gun. The gun just makes people overconfident and then they go places and do things that they'd otherwise avoid doing. Just asks George Zimmerman about that one.

As far as the actual shooting goes I can’t understand why guys always seem to shoot 25 yard targets. .

Because if you have the trigger control and can hold the sight picture to shoot an acceptable 25 yard group, you probably can shoot an acceptable 3 yard group.

The Ga. police qualification course has a 25 yard segment.

long range bs just teaches you to be too slow, while wasting valuable range time and ammo. My way can mostly be learned at home, 1/2 c per shot, in safety, with airsoft. Half of the live fire can be learned with a .22lr, saving you 20c per shot. Groups on stationary targets, with ear protection, in good light, slowfire, dont mean anything until you have to hit somebody with a bullet, while you and they are both moving, in bad light, using cover, ears blown out, eyes dazzled by the flashes, being strangled by your asshole, which has moved up around your throat!

Best not let it come to that, eh? Superswift appearance of a gun, pointed at them, has backed off millions of people. So have MISSES, and poor, even feeble hits. Without medical attention, gunshot wounds kill you, from infection. Everyone knows this. All medical personel, as well as veterinarians, have to report gunshot wounds to the cops So getting shot means death or prison. Naturally, everyone seeks to avoid those 2 outcomes. As soon as they back off, you'll have your cell phone in gear. They'll know that too. So they'll be GONE. Nobody who's not heavily involved is going to be both fast and long range accurate. You have to choose, so the long range bs has to go byebye

long range bs just teaches you to be too slow, while wasting valuable range time and ammo. My way can mostly be learned at home, 1/2 c per shot, in safety, with airsoft. Half of the live fire can be learned with a .22lr, saving you 20c per shot. Groups on stationary targets, with ear protection, in good light, slowfire, dont mean anything until you have to hit somebody with a bullet, while you and they are both moving, in bad light, using cover, ears blown out, eyes dazzled by the flashes, being strangled by your asshole, which has moved up around your throat!

Best not let it come to that, eh? Superswift appearance of a gun, pointed at them, has backed off millions of people. So have MISSES, and poor, even feeble hits. Without medical attention, gunshot wounds kill you, from infection. Everyone knows this. All medical personel, as well as veterinarians, have to report gunshot wounds to the cops So getting shot means death or prison. Naturally, everyone seeks to avoid those 2 outcomes. As soon as they back off, you'll have your cell phone in gear. They'll know that too. So they'll be GONE. Nobody who's not heavily involved is going to be both fast and long range accurate. You have to choose, so the long range bs has to go byebye

Can you hold that thought until I find my rubber boots?

Have you ever been in a gunfight? Honest question

Back
Top Bottom