• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Mirror polishing

I have used Mothers Mag and Aluminum polish or Flitz with a cotton cloth and sometimes a dremel on low rpm’s to polish a barrel. Used vinegar to strip the finish off the barrel I then cleaned the barrel then polished it then cleaned it again. Never had problems out of it. Kept oil on it.

I have used Mothers Mag and Aluminum polish or Flitz with a cotton cloth and sometimes a dremel on low rpm’s to polish a barrel. Used vinegar to strip the finish off the barrel I then cleaned the barrel then polished it then cleaned it again. Never had problems out of it. Kept oil on it.
I used aircraft paint remover, scraped it off with a plastic painters knife... then i started lightly sanding with a 1000grit, all the way up to a 4000grit sandpaper just to get a nice clean surface. Then I just used Mothers Polish to mirror shine it
How does that hold up to rust?

Had no problems out of it. As with any of my firearms I just kept oil on it. I did this years ago. What pistol are you wanting to do this on?

Well I’m not sure yet, either a g23 or practice it on a single shot 12. I don’t want to foul anything up on a nice gun

A Pre-2010 Glock will have Tennifer metal treatment and newer Glocks should have a smiliar nitriding. Especially the older Glocks should be totally immune to rust unless you polish 1 or 2mm deep somehow.

I personally wouldn’t do it one a Glock made from late 2010 to 2012. The metal treatment got a little sketchy during that era sometimes.

Back
Top Bottom