• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Missing Dad this weekend

My Dad has Alzheimer’s. It’s still early on but man it’s hard to watch the decline. I’ll go show him my new truck later today. Again, as if it’s the first time he’s seen it. I’ve had to recalibrate what our relationship is now, and enjoy it differently. I’m grateful he still knows us and I’m adjusting my expectations so I can enjoy what time we have left. I bring up the truck thing as an example. I try to remover that he is having fun looking at his son’s new ride. He is experiencing the same joy he would have 10 years ago. So I embrace that and roll with it. We might get to enjoy that moment 10 times this year instead of 1.

Lost my dad at 16. 32 now. Having kids makes a good distraction for today but I still tear up every time I think about what he’s missed out and seeing his grandkids. My thoughts are with all that don’t have their dads today, and every day.

I had to give permission to turn off life support for my Dad nearly 24 years ago, it still feels like yesterday and even though I know it was the right thing it still haunts me every single day. He wasn’t just my Dad, he was my best friend. I could literally talk to him about anything, and he always gave me the best advice. I’d probably be a lot better off if I had followed all that advice but I thought I knew it all when I was younger. I’d give just about anything to be able to see him and talk with him just one more time, just one more time.....

Unknown at the time but my dad went to the hospital in late March for cancer bleeding. He left me a voice mail while enroute to the hospital. I listened to that voice mail today......

My Dad has Alzheimer’s. It’s still early on but man it’s hard to watch the decline. I’ll go show him my new truck later today. Again, as if it’s the first time he’s seen it. I’ve had to recalibrate what our relationship is now, and enjoy it differently. I’m grateful he still knows us and I’m adjusting my expectations so I can enjoy what time we have left. I bring up the truck thing as an example. I try to remover that he is having fun looking at his son’s new ride. He is experiencing the same joy he would have 10 years ago. So I embrace that and roll with it. We might get to enjoy that moment 10 times this year instead of 1.
My wife's Dad had that, it's a terrible thing to watch. I haven't had the best relationship with mine. Main thing is always do your best for others, that's all anyone can do. And you'll never have be sorry, you and God will be alright with that

Sorry for your loss. My Wife lost her Dad about the same time, he was a wonderful human being. The whole family is doing well though, we all know he's in a better place. You're not alone.....
Bass, your family is a living tribute to your Father-in-Law. God bless all of you.

Back
Top Bottom