• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Missing Firearm? How to report it!

old frank

Marines Icon Supporter
Survivalist
52   0
Reaction score
A young man I know just called me and realized his handgun was missing from his truck. He is 95% sure he did not move it but there is no sign of a break in and he keeps his truck locked ALMOST always.

He has only had it a few months and bought it right after turning 21.

I told him to search his house top to bottom and be sure he was not bringing it in and got distracted and put it in a laundry basket in the garage or something.

I told him he had to make a police report in case it was stolen and is recovered or used in a crime.

Since he doesn't know when or how it went missing do you just call the police in your home county?

Thanks!

A young man I know just called me and realized his handgun was missing from his truck. He is 95% sure he did not move it but there is no sign of a break in and he keeps his truck locked ALMOST always.

He has only had it a few months and bought it right after turning 21.

I told him to search his house top to bottom and be sure he was not bringing it in and got distracted and put it in a laundry basket in the garage or something.

I told him he had to make a police report in case it was stolen and is recovered or used in a crime.

Since he doesn't know when or how it went missing do you just call the police in your home county?

Thanks!
THEY WILL WALK HIM THROUGH THE PROCESS

25 years ago, I had to report one of my handguns missing. I noticed it missing about two weeks after I had last used it after a trip to the gun range.
Before I got the cops involved, I tore my house apart. I searched my range bag.
I searched the extra backpack that I sometimes used as an overflow range bag.
I even looked inside large ammo boxes and ammo cans -- just in case that handgun might've gotten put in there with the cartridges.

No luck.

So the cops took a report. It was a little bit awkward because the forms are not designed to report a gun missing. They're designed to report guns either stolen or recovered from a crime or otherwise found.

But I did get them to take a report. With the gun's serial number.

A week later I found it. In my college book bag. I've been taking it to school, unknown to me, for weeks.

It was a small handgun, and it was not in the main compartment where the books were. It was in a small side compartment where I don't normally carry anything that I used regularly.

Only after I found the gun did I remember that my range bag was so over full to the point of breaking the zipper, that I took one last item, that little handgun, and stuck it in my school bag for the drive home.
I didn't try to stuff it in the range bag and risk ripping the zipper.

Thanks, I told him to search the house really well, especially around the garage entrance he usually uses.
I also told him to go by the police department with serial number and make a report in case it is recovered or used in a crime.

6 years ago I couldn't find a 12 gage shotty with pistol grips, tore the house up searching and decided someone visiting must have took it, so not know who./when just chalked it up as gone. Then one day earlier this year, ran across it in a way to conspicuous place so although I am not young like your guy, it is possible to have a brain fart about guns and where you "hid" them.

Police get reports all the time about property that is "stolen" that turns up later. It's just the price of doing business. If he doesn't report it stolen and it really was stolen, he will never get it back, not that it's likely that he will anyway.

I had movers placing a bedroom set in my home and a week later I went to grab a pistol on the shelf in a pistol rug and it was empty.

Tore the house apart, checked garage, car etc. nada.

Called the police to report it and sent a car to my home and took the report. Asked me if stolen or lost and told them stolen.

The officer did tell me if I did happen to stumble across it to contact them to report it found so if I got stopped and the numbers were ran I wouldn't have a bunch of explaining to do.

A couple of years later got the call it was in the Dekalb property room and I could pick it up if I wanted it or I could just leave it there and they would dispose of it...

I had movers placing a bedroom set in my home and a week later I went to grab a pistol on the shelf in a pistol rug and it was empty.

Tore the house apart, checked garage, car etc. nada.

Called the police to report it and sent a car to my home and took the report. Asked me if stolen or lost and told them stolen.

The officer did tell me if I did happen to stumble across it to contact them to report it found so if I got stopped and the numbers were ran I wouldn't have a bunch of explaining to do.

A couple of years later got the call it was in the Dekalb property room and I could pick it up if I wanted it or I could just leave it there and they would dispose of it...
Rest of the story?????
How did they come into possession of it?

Rest of the story?????
I'm betting those noisy movers where snooping and found it....I missed to work with a moving....I saw ALOT of them but not all of them going through people's stuff....hence I don't work with them anymore...that's just one of the reasons I stopped working with them

Rest of the story?????

The details, well two Hispanic males delivering a bedroom set from NE Atlanta of I-85 entered my home.

While there, the young guy did the work in the kid's room and the elder fellow connected a dresser/mirror piece in the master bedroom. I stayed there and my wife watched the other guy.

He commented on what a nice $49 POS particle board imitation wood grain bookshelf I had, taking time to touch the shelving and blab how nice it was. I told him it was garbage particle board.

He went to the kid's room, I stood by the bedroom watching him enter the room. He came out and said I needed to make sure it was in place correctly. As I walked near the room he turned and went into the master, I turned around and he was attempting to move the mirror attached to the dresser-in that fraction of a moment he reached on the top shelf, unzipped the pistol soft case and stuffed a Glock 17 in his pants and zipped the case nearly shut.

He left almost immediately afterwards, chirping the tires out of my driveway... He was good and honed his skill set well and I'm wiser now.

Back
Top Bottom