• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Mobile Mechanic

Bryan2525

Default rank <2500 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
369   0
Reaction score
I need an auto mechanic to come to my house diagnose and fix an issue with my truck.

Service engine light came on...... I looked at the gauges and the oil pressure gauge was in the high pressure range. I was driving the truck at the time this happened.

The gauge goes to high pressure immediately when key is turned on.
I change the oil at 3000 miles since the car was new.
Just had the transmission changed right before Christmas is the only recent repairs.

Oil level looks good and no visible leaks.

I disconnected the battery to reset the service engine but still comes on.

Dealer ship wants between 250 - 350 just to lift the hood. (Towing and diagnostics)

Any one does this or knows someone?

Thanks,

Bryan2525

A service call to your house will be expensive, and there will be 2 service calls as it will likely require parts not on the truck.

Do you have a shop you use? If so, they should be able to get it towed in for cheap and fix it without paying a mechanic for a bunch of driving time.

Unless it's a backyard mechanic that's going to cost more than just taking it in to the shop. Any auto store can read the codes for free. If you aren't noticing any more symptoms I'd limp it in to an Autozone and get the code read and go from there.

Some of the Ford trucks have defective circuit boards in the gauge cluster and will present the same symptoms.

Get it on a shop grade scanner rather than shotgunning parts at it.

Dodge Ram 1500.
I called the local shop he wants 130.00 just to get the code from the computer.
He indicated they do not utilize any codes from other sources (Auto Zone).

I do not have the tools to work on cars nor the expertise.

Looking at some internet videos it appears the likely problem is the pressure sensor due to it being an immediate high pressure reading even before the engine is turned over.

I think I will call around for another shop.

Dodge Ram 1500.
I called the local shop he wants 130.00 just to get the code from the computer.
He indicated they do not utilize any codes from other sources (Auto Zone).

I do not have the tools to work on cars nor the expertise.

Looking at some internet videos it appears the likely problem is the pressure sensor due to it being an immediate high pressure reading even before the engine is turned over.

I think I will call around for another shop.
Drive it here and I'll pull the codes for free. If its going all the way to the high side its probably just the sensor.

I had a low pressure reading on my Dodge truck but it ran fine, so I changed the sending unit. It was the culprit. It's not a hard job - just unplug the connection, unscrew the old one and install the new unit. Hardest part was getting to it. I did have to buy a sending unit tool because the normal sockets I had weren't big enough. I bought the MOPAR sensor because it wasn't much more and I am leery of some of the aftermarket stuff.

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...re-switch-socket-3-8-inch-drive/13250/4413403

This video is kinda helpful...

I need an auto mechanic to come to my house diagnose and fix an issue with my truck.

Service engine light came on...... I looked at the gauges and the oil pressure gauge was in the high pressure range. I was driving the truck at the time this happened.

The gauge goes to high pressure immediately when key is turned on.
I change the oil at 3000 miles since the car was new.
Just had the transmission changed right before Christmas is the only recent repairs.

Oil level looks good and no visible leaks.

I disconnected the battery to reset the service engine but still comes on.

Dealer ship wants between 250 - 350 just to lift the hood. (Towing and diagnostics)

Any one does this or knows someone?

Thanks,

Bryan2525

I can come to you if you're afraid to drive it. Depending on where you live it would be $100

Back
Top Bottom