• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Model 36-1 Resto Mod

Flat latch came in the mail the other day. Hadn't had a chance to open it.

So while I was drinking my morning coffee, I decided to go ahead and install it. This will be the first time I have changed latches on any Smith and Wesson revolver I have owned.

Guess what.

It doesn't fit. Hahaha. Of course. That's what I get for buying a latch off eBay for $3

So now I have two options.

A. Search for a original bolt assembly that will fit a flat latch.

B. Commit heresy of the highest form and drill out the flat latch to fit.

I'mma think on it while I drink this next cup of coffee.

Original latch
0204190856_HDR.jpg

The flat latch. Since it won't fit over the post I have to hold it up as a mockup.
0204190857_HDR.jpg

Here's a shot of the top of both of them
0204190837_HDR.jpg

And the bottom side
0204190837a_HDR.jpg

Hole is drilled out to fit over the post. Still gotta recess the top so the nut will fit into the hole.

As you can tell the lugg from the new latch is a scooch taller than the original.
0204191055a_HDR.jpg

This causes the new part to sit a bit too far off the frame for my liking so I am gonna take it down with the belt sander
0204191053a_HDR.jpg

I will finish up in a little while. It's nap time now.

Got the new latch trimmed down and the hole widened.
0205190548_HDR.jpg

Installed the latch nut and it was way way way to tall now.
0205190554_HDR-1.jpg

So I started slowly taking off some of the height for the nut. Put it on, looks great, fits well and is unobtrusive to the thumb. I did a few reloads with a speedloader just to make sure it there would be no unexpected clearance issues with the new latch.

I got everything ready to strip and polish the new latch when disaster struck.

Apparently the metal was not quite as robust as I had anticipated. When loosening the latch nut, it split right in twain!
0205190542_HDR.jpg

Oh well. I'll fabricate a new one tomorrow. The joys of gunsmithing eh¿

oh oh is this bubba?

I know this was meant in jest, but I feel the need to present a rebuttal.

I am a gunsmith. Not an armorer, not a bubba.

I can make parts from raw metals. (Like i will be doing tomorrow to replace the part I broke tonight) I make my tools when needed as you will see in the coming days when I finish my barrel porting jig.

I am not just randomly attacking the firearm with power tools. This isn't chopping the furniture on a Nagant or jabbing at a Glock frame with a soldering iron. This is custom hand fitting parts to modify my personal carry weapon.

I have documented the proccess (including my mistakes) not only to serve as a potential teaching tool for those interested in learning, but to showcase the variety of my skills in an effort to grow my business.

As I said before I understand it was made in jest, but please do not refer to me as a "bubba" again.

Back
Top Bottom