• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Modifying a Colt Python

GAgunLAWbooklet

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
63   0
Reaction score
Georgia Carry.Org is having a fundraiser raffle for a handgun.
A one-owner Colt Python (I don't recall the details). It is estimated to be worth $4000.
Raffle tix are $100 per set of 5 (or 6).

Now here's the thing: GCO had this gun modified with the signature of a GCO official on one side, and the GCO logo engraved on the other side of the frame.

I'm wondering if this doesn't actually hurt the gun's value.
Sure, it's probably worth MORE to the 6000 or so G.C.O. members.
It's also probably worth more to anybody from Georgia.
But, would anybody from any other part of the country want a gun that's been modified (permanently engraved, at least into the sideplate on the left side) with references to a Georgia-only gun rights group and a person who is only known to a small percentage of even Georgia gun owners?

If somebody from Oregon, Nebraska, Indiana, Pennsylvania, Virginia, Florida, etc. might have paid $4000 for this gun before it was modified, what would they pay for it now?

Would you want to own a Python that, while it gives you pleasure to own it, and you appreciate the connection to a group and person you respect, has been customized so as to only appeal to other folks from GA?

On a related note, let's make this a hypothetical.
How much would YOU pay for a Colt Python (any model, any finish, any barrel length; whatever you think is best) if you could not sell or trade it away ever during your lifetime, and when you pass away the gun MUST be sold by your estate's executor or administrator for only what you paid for it, not a penny more. No profit-- not even to keep up with inflation.

So the gun cannot be an investment. It's either a shooter, or a safe queen, but NOT a commodity to store and hopefully grow your money over years.

What would that gun be worth to you?

I'd say about $1000 for me.
That's twice the price of a good used S&W .357 revolver, and I can't justify paying more than 2X for one similar gun over another just to have a butter-smooth action and the pride of owning such a famous firearm.

The ONLY engraving worth anything on a Python would have to be done by the factory certified engraver or some world famous engraver, anything else, especially like what the OP described ruins the value of a Python. I wouldn't want the GCO Python even though I was born in Ga. and lived here all my life. If it was given to me for free it would only be a shooter and not a safe queen. If I didn't already own one and just had to have one I wouldn't pay a penny more than $500 for it.

Back
Top Bottom