• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Modifying a Colt Python

I agree. That is just bastardizing the gun. To touch a Colt Python with any modification is sacrilegious. That gun should be presented in felt lined box with a glass lid and never fired and limit the amount of pecker beaters handling it. I can not believe they would even entertain the idea of doing that to such a rare and beautiful weapon.

I own a python. Outside of rarity and collectibiliry it's a **** gun worth about 300 bucks tops. Smith 686 is better in every way except value.

I agree with at least part of this. Decades ago I traded a Ruger P89 with a blued finish straight up for an unfired, in the box, Colt Python. Still the best gun deal I've ever made. Loved that Python and shot it regularly.

Few years down the road I purchased a used S&W M-28 "Highway Patrolman" and tuned it up. It ended up with a smoother action than the Python had. Sold the Python for a nice profit and still have the 28.

I could *maybe* see the GC logo if done well, even though that would definitely hurt the collector value.

As for having the name of some random person engraved on it, that's plain stupid. Who would possibly want that?

This kind of thing (engraved give-aways) should be done using a new firearm, not a rare collectable.
You do that on a set of aftermarket or second set of OEM grips. NOT on the firearm...
Some (not me of course) might say to deface and devalue a collector piece in such a fashion would require some really bizarre amount of egotism and short sightedness.

A standard Colt Python ain't really a collector's piece, in my book. The claim to fame was always the accuracy and how smooth the action is. Can't get that out of it if ya don't shoot it. I had a Python and I shot and carried her regularly.

A standard Colt Python ain't really a collector's piece, in my book. The claim to fame was always the accuracy and how smooth the action is. Can't get that out of it if ya don't shoot it. I had a Python and I shot and carried her regularly.
Maybe but when I was a kid and picked up a gun mag and looked at the cover and saw a long barrel Colt Python with that vent rib on top it looked like a piece of jewelry. I mean that SOB was sexy if a gun could ever be sexy. That goes double for the stainless jobs.

Only guns I've ever seen NOT go down in value when someone had their name put on it was when that person was genuinely famous.

I'm sure some of y'all remember Junior Samples. For whatever reason, he "engraved" (actually he just scratched it very deeply) his name and SSN on all his firearms in case they were ever stolen. I'm talking it looked like an 8YOA with a steel pick did it. When I was working at Pannell's Firearms we had a Winchester 94 .30-30 come through that was owned by Junior; the "engraving" was huge, childish and took up the entire left side of the receiver. After we had established provenance, it went for a pretty penny, and Junior and ain't even that famous!

Military issue firearms, like 1911A1's, that the owner had "field engraved" their name on are pretty cool. Neat piece of history.

Back
Top Bottom