• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Moonclips for revolvers?

Deleted member 79987

Default rank 5000+ posts
Good enough for government work
79   0
Reaction score
Maybe this is a dumb question (I'm fairly new to revolvers), but can any S&W revolver use moon clips?

Or are only some models compatible with them -- others you have to use a speedloader? Looking at the small J-frames.

Yup, most are not going to come from the factory with the relief cut required. About the only time you will find that already done for you is with auto calibers (9mm, 40, 10mm, etc.)

Unless you are shooting in competition though, there's no real advantage to moon clips. Yeah, they load and unload fast, but they can be a PITA to add rounds to and remove empties from. In some cases you almost need a special tool to do it without bending the clip (which makes it a problem for the gun).

For plinking I would just get some speedloaders, and probably for competition as well unless you are already part of the top 1% and need that edge.

Yup, most are not going to come from the factory with the relief cut required. About the only time you will find that already done for you is with auto calibers (9mm, 40, 10mm, etc.)

Unless you are shooting in competition though, there's no real advantage to moon clips. Yeah, they load and unload fast, but they can be a PITA to add rounds to and remove empties from. In some cases you almost need a special tool to do it without bending the clip (which makes it a problem for the gun).

For plinking I would just get some speedloaders, and probably for competition as well unless you are already part of the top 1% and need that edge.
I hadn’t thought about adding new rounds and removing spent casings. Speedloaders are probably much easier on the fingers for that.

Absolutely, although you can find polymer moon clips that are much nicer to deal with. They are available for most guns if you hunt around.

Even so, you still have to plug in the rounds and peel them out every time. You just don't tear up your fingers as much, and they don't bend in a way that can jam up the gun like metal ones can.

Some of the Safariland speedloaders are pretty nice. The best out there are S.L. Variant, but they are almost impossible to find in the US any more. The spring loaded Safariland ones are probably a good second choice though, and they are cheap.

Another option is speed-strips. These work best for carry revolvers, since they lay flat in a pocket.

These work great in my Smith mod 625.

Love not having to have a tool to load/unload the moon clips.

https://www.ezmoonclip.com/

PICT0040.JPG
PICT0050.JPG

Have the same gun, and yup, all my metal 45 ACP clips are in with the box and docs. I'm polymer-only for guns in auto cartridges if I can help it.

I think the only metal moon clips I still use are the ones that came with my 9mm Ruger LCR. That's my 'going to the mailbox' gun and I just carry a speed-strip of 9mm (the 32/327 version works well for 9mm) with me as a reload.

Since the LCR headspaces off the case mouth, the clips are only used for extraction. I tried it out and found that so long as I used nickel-plated defensive ammo, I could literally shake the empties out for 3-4 cylinders worth of shooting without using the clips. A sharp rap to the palm dumped the empties just fine.

That means I can use the moon clip for the 5 rounds in the gun, but carry a reload or two on speed strips, which is a lot more useful than moon clips, and I don't deal with too big a speed penalty.

I recently bought .45 full moon clips online from the Revolver Store and they load much easier than the older clips I am using. Price is reasonable @$86.50/100 delivered.

For carry and competition use, moon clips are fantastic. When I use mine on the range, or at a competition, and I’m having to unload and reload the clips, I use a moon clip tool from Brownell’s. No reason to bust your fingers. https://www.brownells.com/shooting-...-accessories/moon-clip-stripper-prod6727.aspx

If it’s a carry gun, you have no need to unload the clips when done.......they’re part of the crime scene and the police will pick them up for you.

Back
Top Bottom