• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

More AARs for Precision Applications classes - non precision rifles classes

l33571

Marines Icon Lifetime Supporter
Plan B. Have one
80   0
Reaction score
So while I was writing up the AAR and description of my experience of training with Precision Applications for long range shoots, I decided to update a PM that I sent to someone regarding the handgun, carbine, and FOF training offered by Precision Applications. Here's my AAR on those classes:

I have attended multiple training classes at Precision Applications run by Rob Sheppard. He and his cadre of instructors are excellent. They all are all current/former LEO, SWAT, FAMs, USMC, etc. and all of them have “been there and done that” and the quality of instruction reflects their level of experience.

All of Rob’s classes include a dose of combat mindset along with the reading recommendations to reinforce and expand on the items that Rob and his instructors cover. He also covers things like the OODA loop and reaction times in relation to the training and what to expect in a defensive situation. Rob also spends time talking about not giving up in a gun fight and how to keep fighting and then puts those techniques into action after covering the fundamentals.

Everything listed in a course description is covered in detail and all students receive personalized attention and even more if they are having issues or bring up a specific question on technique. Each course starts off with some fundamentals to gauge levels and then begins to ramp towards the more advanced skills such as shooting while moving, from cover/concealment, down and/or disabled, etc. Along the way the instructors provide many real world scenarios highlighting the why’s of the particular techniques being taught. Shooting from cover/concealment and “slicing the pie” were initially more difficult than I thought they would be since you have to pay particular attention to your surroundings and things like making sure your elbows or feet are not visible first. They also cover multiple techniques and then make the students perform each one multiple times to find the one the student prefers or are better at performing. The instructors also give individual critiques that are quite detailed and include having you repeat until you get it right.

The most challenging class (other than FOF) I have been through was one covering down and disabled shooting. I discovered that the stock plastic sights on a Glock suck when you are trying to rack the slide one handed on your belt while simulating having only one good hand. I have also discovered many other deficiencies with my chosen gear along the way as well. Reading stuff on the Internet or from a book is one thing, but putting it to the test while being watched by someone with actual experience gives you a whole new perspective. Especially when they start telling everything you did wrong, what didn’t work, and so on. They also tell you what did you correctly and aren’t stuck on one right way to do things. Rob has a saying about that and you will hear it at every single one of his classes from handgun to precision rifle if you decide to attend one.

I would also highly recommend taking the lowlight class. Rob teaches multiple techniques on using weapon mounted lights and hand held flashlights. You also gain valuable experience firing at night so you can tell what the muzzle flash of your carry rounds (if you choose to shoot them) look like. He also runs a section of the class where folks can see what the various muzzle flashes of rounds that are present in the class look like. Very interesting to see that especially in the carbine courses.

One thing I especially like about the Precision Applications training is that you aren’t required to go through a level 1, 2, etc. progression. Each class (even if it was the same class such as Combat Handgun) has been slightly different based on your capabilities and the overall ability of those in the class. Of course, there is repetition when you take multiple classes but that to me is just reinforcement of the techniques being taught and more practice under the eyes of skilled evaluators.

The exception to the progression of classes are the series that cover entry/clearing and build up to use of simulations and live fire in a shoot house. After taking these classes, I can't say enough on the value FOF training. FOF is an essential for anyone. Just the non-simunition walk throughs are extremely valuable training. The FOF part is absolutely amazing. You will find every weakness you have as a shooter and getting shot with a sim round is the ultimate reinforcement on what you are doing right or wrong.

Rob has also worked with me on my individual issues as I am a cross dominant eye shooter and was awful and not very confident in my skills with a handgun. Under his tutelage, I figured out the best way to deal with my cross dominant eye issue and have made massive improvements in my ability with a handgun.

I have taken several other classes, some with top name instructors, and I can say that for the money spent I find Rob’s classes to be on par with any that I have taken so far. Rob is just a great guy with a ton of experience and I can't say enough about the value of his classes for the money spent. He is also willing to setup or help folks with their gear for free.

The only class I haven't taken is the STRESS class and the full down & disabled/close range handgun class.

Please feel free to PM if you want more details or have specific questions. I am NOT gushing about these classes. They are hands-down some of the best training you can get for the money spent. I say this having having trained with many big name trainers. I have even shot side by side with Shep in a Ken Hackathorn class and was amazed at his ability on those drills under Ken Hackathorn's eye. He can teach as well as shoot and I feel I should post this since he can teach pretty much any type of combat firearm training. He ran me through a shotgun familiarization course and that was excellent as well. I chose to run a carbine from personal preference, but at least I know how to run a shotgun (reloads, reloads, reloads).

Feel free to PM me with any specific questions about Shep and his classes.

Back
Top Bottom