• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

MosinNagant bolt handle mods

39EB9B0F-564F-4B2F-8BC6-9C23B271A229.jpeg

I shot a Mosin 91/30 for the first time in 15 years this weekend.

I hated the straight bolt handle,
combined with the powerful main spring and strong action
required to koch it. I could not keep the weapon shouldered
& the sights near the target while working the bolt.

I purchased a 91/30 several years ago, it came with the turn-down bolt kit. I cut the bolt off, ground and polished the area, and drilled and tapped the hole according to the instructions. The single screw will not hod the new handle in-place. I am going to drill a second hole for a roll pin; that should solve the movement problem. Like you, I didn’t like the straight bolt, but the kit was lacking.

ATI makes a turned down bolt kit that is do it yourself if you are handy and have a drill press. It requires removal of original bolt drilling and tapping and installing a new bolt handle. I have done several of these and they work well. Check it out online and see what you think. also allows for their receiver mount scope base that puts the scope where it should be. It also requires drilling and tapping the receiver. both of these kits come with the drill bits and taps required to do the install.

I have installed several of these kits and if done properly they are quite secure and I have never had one returned because it came loose or broke off. The origin of the thread was DIY or gunsmith. Always better to weld bolts on but I was offering a DIY option. Kit cost half of what a weld job would cost. Maybe not the best option but for a limited budgit and no access to a qualified welder the bolt on kits work.

Back
Top Bottom