• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Mossberg MVP Varmint w/ Berger 70gr VLD = WIN!!!

4   0
Reaction score
image000000.jpg
Recently got into reloading for my rifles and pistols. It has become quite addictive to say the least! I love my Mossberg MVP Varmint, and have gotten .75" to 1.4" groups depending on what factory ammo I use. Most of it is usually just under an inch, so I have been happy with it for being a lower end production rifle with a factory chamber. Lets face it, not everyone can afford custom rifles, so some of us are forced to own budget rifles. I have now taken my budget .223 into accuracy range that a lot of the guys at my local range can't even get with their high end tricked out Rem 700 models or more expensive rifles!

This weekend I worked on some load development with the Berger 70gr VLD. Loaded up 5 batches of 6 each so I could get 2 three shot groups each to see what it was doing, then tweak to perfection from there. I was shooting from a bipod, so I'm sure I can tighten it up a lil more if I shot from a lead sled. Not to mention the wind was blowing pretty good Saturday ranging from a constant 9mph up to 13mph. Load was Lapua brass, CCI BR-4 primers, 21.2 gr of Benchmark, Berger 70gr VLD, COAL of 2.260" due to loading from an AR style magazine. The pic attached is the best group which was the load listed. It is a three shot group measuring 0.332". The others were around 0.4 to 0.6" with the powder charges being the only difference. I am gonna run more loads with a chronograph next weekend to see what velocity they are running. For now I am happy with this load!

Just remember benchmark is going to be a smidgen temp sensitive. Test it again mid summer and mid winter if you wish to do any formal competitions with it. Even Mossberg can crank out sub moa rifles. What a world!

So I've read it can be slightly sensitive to temp. I don't plan on doing competitions with it, just trying to see what it's full potential is. I'm happy with the results considering it's a factory production rifle. I will be doing more tests. My other load of Nosler 55gr BT with same COAL and 26.8gr CFE 223 are staying in the 0.5 to 0.7 inch range which ain't too bad.

Did some more testing with the chronograph this weekend and different loads. The temp was a good bit warmer as well, and the wind not as bad as last time. The load with 21.2 grains of Benchmark is still king. I zeroed at 200 yards from a bipod. The pic attached shows the 200 yard zero at 0.410" and about an inch high at 100 yards at less than 1/4". I know a lot of people say the VLD loves to be ran fast, but the faster I run em, the more they open up. The 21.2 grain load is hanging in around 2670 fps, but shoots like a laser beam! Just stoked that a non custom/non modified rifle in this price range is a 1/4" grouping rifle :D
image000000.jpg

Thanks! It has become an addiction. I'm currently waiting on my Shilen barreled action in 6.5 Creedmoor and MDT Tac21 stock and a few other components to build my own precision rifle with. Loading for the .223 has given me a damn good footing to move up to the longer range calibers now.

Back
Top Bottom