• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Most new riding lawn mowers the same?

BCM1323654788

Default rank <750 posts
Frontiersman
24   0
Reaction score
I'm in the market sometime before next season for a new riding lawn mower. My yard has about 1 acre of grass to cut. I want the mower to last a long time and to keep the price reasonable.

I'll be wanting to get a bagger attachment to save clippings and leaves for compost. Right now I'm pushing it with a 22" cut and bagging it. I can continue to do this until I find the right one. I'm looking at the ones between 36-46" cut (probably 2-blade set up I'm thinking). I would be open to larger 3-blade setups, but they get more expensive.

I'm mechanically inclined so maintenance isn't an issue and I take care of my stuff. As long as the machine is built right at the factory, it will last me a very long time.

I've heard recently that MTD makes almost all the new riding mowers including non-commercial John Deeres'. I've always heard good things about John Deere, but I'm not sure about them being made by someone other than John Deere? How long has this been going on?

It seems that a lot of these different companies put the same brands of engines on their mowers, and increase the price as the engines get better. Guess I'll have to do more research on engines.

How do all the non-engine components of the mowers stack up brand for brand (frame, suspension, transmission, mowing deck along with belts and blades, electronics, user features like seats and controls, plastics, etc.)?

I'd love to hear what your experiences have been with any comparable riding mower in the $1k-2k price range new, not counting attachments.

Also, I'm thinking fall is a good time to catch them on sale, can anyone confirm this?

Thanks for any info on different brands and current offerings.

Husqvarna, Poulan Pro, Cub Cadet, John Deere, Yard Machines, Troy-Bilt.

Also, hydrostatic vs manual transmission, is either any better?

Thanks in advance!

MTD makes most of the mowers now. Their website lists all the brand names. Parts are pretty much universal, have MTD part nos. Some good brand names are basically crap - big box JD, Cub.

Husky makes their own. I think there are two more major companies that make their own, but I can't remember them. Husky used to make Sears, given the current state of Sears don't know if that is still true.

If your grass gets any length to it, you will really appreciate hydrostatic. Also I've learned one place that they cheap out is not putting anti-scalp wheels on the deck. Some decks you can add to easily, but unless your lawn is pool table flat, you need the wheels.

The MTD thing is correct. You have to get into the $3000 range before brand specific manufacturing makes a difference. I have a 20 year old Sears lawn tractor with a 17.5 hp Briggs engine that cost $800 new. I cut half an acre. It's been maintained by me like I wanted to keep it forever. I do annual oil changes, belt replacements before failure, greasing all the zerks, tires, yada, yada, yada. If you take care of your mower, keep it sheltered, and keep it clean, it can last well over 20 years.

I see guys cutting an acre and a half with a $5000 zero turn. To each his own. If needing the latest toy makes you warm and fuzzy down under, go for it. I'll take utility over fads every time.

I'll throw this about the zero turns. They cut grass like nothing else, but I'm old and lame. The sit on top lawn mowers are invaluable to me for yard work and around the house work pulling a trailer. Little tractors as they are.

I do annual oil changes, belt replacements before failure, greasing all the zerks, tires, yada, yada, yada. If you take care of your mower, keep it sheltered, and keep it clean, it can last well over 20 years.

Something like this is exactly what I'm looking for. I'm of course looking to buy new, just not sure if the store brands of today are equivalent to the store brands of yesteryear. I'd have to assume like everything else the metal is thinner and the plastic is more abundant, whether or not it makes a difference once it's all put together?

There are some models that are very affordable

I'm having a hard time finding anything under 2k. Is Exmark the brand I'm supposed to google? I also got search results for Toro and Yard Machine, are these related? thanks

The sit on top lawn mowers are invaluable to me for yard work and around the house work pulling a trailer

Would be nice to have a tow behind trailer for random chores and yard work for me as well!

Avoid Troy-Bilt at all cost. I had a 42” Rider and it was absolute JUNK. I now have a 42” Craftsman and it is built much better. I have had it for 3 seasons now with no complaints and my yard isnt easy on Mowers. Mine has the 720cc 22HP Motor and I love it. Just change tge oil regularly on it and keep the carb clean by running good gas with some seafoam in it. Purrs like a kitten.

But like others have said, most lawn tractors these days under $2,000 are hit or miss on quality. I can def recommend the Craftsman though. I believe mine is the T3000 Model.

Back
Top Bottom