• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Most new riding lawn mowers the same?

If your time is valuable to you, go commercial zero turn. I couldn't believe the difference. I'm running a Grasshopper 223, and love it. My old yard was right at 2 acres to cut, and I could have it all done in less than 2 hrs. Thats including the trimming...which will be considerably less because most commercial zeros have the deck out front where you can get underneath shrubs and bushes. My yard now is considerably smaller, and it takes me about 10 mins to cut it.

Thanks for all the detailed responses and shared experiences.

Still leaning towards the traditional riding mowers since I'm on a budget and I don't have a significant amount of grass to cut. Would also be better to haul things. I also have to purchase a bagger as well.

If your time is valuable to you, go commercial zero turn. I couldn't believe the difference. I'm running a Grasshopper 223, and love it. My old yard was right at 2 acres to cut, and I could have it all done in less than 2 hrs. Thats including the trimming...which will be considerably less because most commercial zeros have the deck out front where you can get underneath shrubs and bushes. My yard now is considerably smaller, and it takes me about 10 mins to cut it.

Yea, that seems to be the consensus, zero-turn is a lot faster. I just don't think I'll need one since I only have an acre.

I'd be willing to bet that a lot of the mowers your talking about are still being built in McRae Ga at the Husqvarna plant. Lots of the Craftsman mowers came at of that place years back. Name on the plant has changed several times over the years. Maybe someone working there could chime in?
I'll throw a question out there for you folks with zero turn mowers. How do they work in pulling small yard trailers?

Never was a fan of zero turns even when i did landscaping. I'm still a young buck and ain't old so it's a scag or exmark walk behind with a sulky for me by far.

df502ee3e54fe880eefed45b62496936.jpg

I’m no help
My mower is 40 years old

I have a 20+ year old MTD yard machine.
Damned thing won’t die.

I rigged just about everything I could possibly rig to keep it working and it still starts every time.
I break something on it every season and I’m hard on mowers but sometimes you just gotta run them like you stole them and fix them when they break.

I have a bent tie rod bar that I need to bend and weld a strengthening gusset to and it’ll be fine.

I would have bought a new one for it years ago if the motor blew up but it just won’t quit.
I never replaced the brake pads so I gotta do that as I really don’t have any brakes on it now.

Back
Top Bottom