• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Most overrated and underrated rifle cartridges

The 7mm Rem Mag is very good, but it's not in an entirely different class from other popular long-action deer rifle rounds. So I'd agree that it's over-rated. The .270 doesn't get any respect these days, although it was the next best thing since sliced bread back in the 1930s to 1960s.

The .30 Carbine, with soft-point expanding ammo, is under-rated as a multipurpose self defense and general utility round, and the light little rifle itself gets no respect these days when everybody wants and AR or AK weapon. But if you're happy with iron sights with a peep rear sight, the USGI .30 carbine is a lot of gun for most jobs. Similar ballistic energy to a .357 magnum pistol, but with much better accuracy at 25-200 yards.

(Before you tell me about its lack of stopping power in Korea, against the doped-up Chinese soldiers doing mass charges, keep in mind the difference between FMJ bullets and expanding bullets that mushroom up to .40 caliber.)

I think the .32 ACP is under-rated as a step up from the .22LR / .22 WMR in handguns.
Sure, it's not in the same league as the .380 or 38 spl. or 9mm, but it can be used in guns of the same size that currently shoot .22 rimfires and .25 acp, but the .32 has a much bigger and heavier bullet at decent velocity, near 1000 f.p.s.

I think the .32 ACP is under-rated as a step up from the .22LR / .22 WMR in handguns.
Sure, it's not in the same league as the .380 or 38 spl. or 9mm, but it can be used in guns of the same size that currently shoot .22 rimfires and .25 acp, but the .32 has a much bigger and heavier bullet at decent velocity, near 1000 f.p.s.
I think the 7mm Rem Mag is overrated because what it offers in performance isn't equal what you have to pay for that extra performance. To much muzzle blast, recoil, longer barrel and action making guns heavier to carry in the field. Why choose a 7mm Rem Mag over a 270 Win or 30-06. As for 32 ACP it might be better than 22 LR but it certainly isn't better than 22 WMR IMHO.

7mm08 is underated - IMHO it is the best hunting cartridge in production right now. The sectional density of plain jane .284 bullets coupled with moderate velocity equals great on game performance. Light recoil, and compact rifles are hard to beat. I wouldn't hesitate to hunt any game in North America(except big bears) and African Plains game up to Eland.

All magnums less than .338 offer no ballistic advantage in real hunting applications over the plain old aught six. All marketing hype.

Back
Top Bottom