• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Most overrated and underrated rifle cartridges

I think the 7mm Rem Mag is overrated because what it offers in performance isn't equal what you have to pay for that extra performance. To much muzzle blast, recoil, longer barrel and action making guns heavier to carry in the field. Why choose a 7mm Rem Mag over a 270 Win or 30-06. As for 32 ACP it might be better than 22 LR but it certainly isn't better than 22 WMR IMHO.

I love my 7 mag. BUT it's mainly because of the rifle more so than the cartridge. The Mod 70 in .270 I used growing up was all the rifle I ever needed and much more enjoyable to shoot than the 7 mm mag.

From a short-barreled pocket pistol, the .22 WMR is barely any better than a .25 acp.
The rimfire magnum round needs a longer tube to burn a higher percentage of its powder load.

http://www.brassfetcher.com/Handguns/22 Magnum/22 Magnum.html

Comparing .22 WMR with .32 ACP in the same brand and bullet style, Speer Gold Dot, both fired from short barreled concealed carry pistols, we get:

Speer Gold Dot 32 ACP 60gr

Muzzle Velocity: 960 fps
Muzzle Energy: 123 ft. lbs.

===========================
Speer Gold Dot .22 Win Mag (short barrel)

Muzzle Velocity: 1050 fps
Muzzle Energy: 99 ft. lbs

The last two (.308 and .300 Win Mag) cant be under-rated. They have a cult-like following of fanboys that hold them up as the gold standard, good for every purpose for which you would ever need a rifle. They're highly rated.

The last two (.308 and .300 Win Mag) cant be under-rated. They have a cult-like following of fanboys that hold them up as the gold standard, good for every purpose for which you would ever need a rifle. They're highly rated.

Not by the current crop of shooters they ain’t. They sell them both short.

They disdain .308 for the 6.5 Creedmoor.

The pendulum is finally swinging back to the .300WinMag. The military had to have the .338 Lapua, now they’re finally getting rid of it and going back to the .300WinMag. It’s an easy 2,000yd cartridge.

7 x 57mm Mauser is under-rated.
140 grain bullets at 2900 f.p.s. with the right loads, not watered-down ammo made with 120-year old mil-surp rifles in mind. Rifles whose chambers and bores may be damaged from two generations' use of corrosive-primed ammo.

The 7 x 57 has nearly identical performance to the 7mm-08, but the latter cartridge is newer, sexier, and gets all the good publicity. It was developed in the 1980s. The 7 x 57 Mauser was developed in the 1890s! It's not "hip" or "cool" anymore.

7 x 57mm Mauser is under-rated.
140 grain bullets at 2900 f.p.s. with the right loads, not watered-down ammo made with 120-year old mil-surp rifles in mind. Rifles whose chambers and bores may be damaged from two generations' use of corrosive-primed ammo.

The 7 x 57 has nearly identical performance to the 7mm-08, but the latter cartridge is newer, sexier, and gets all the good publicity. It was developed in the 1980s. The 7 x 57 Mauser was developed in the 1890s! It's not "hip" or "cool" anymore.

I agree with your assessment of the 7x57 Mauser, and will include the 6.5x55mm Swede.

Back
Top Bottom