• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Most overrated and underrated rifle cartridges

7mm08 is underated - IMHO it is the best hunting cartridge in production right now. The sectional density of plain jane .284 bullets coupled with moderate velocity equals great on game performance. Light recoil, and compact rifles are hard to beat. I wouldn't hesitate to hunt any game in North America(except big bears) and African Plains game up to Eland.

All magnums less than .338 offer no ballistic advantage in real hunting applications over the plain old aught six. All marketing hype.

I'd respectively disagree-- the one eland I've seen was awful big! I'd want a higher SD bullet than what you can get up to reasonable speed in a 7mm-08. But otherwise I agree about 7mm-08 being an underrated cartridge.

I have a .300 RUM, and I wouldn't suggest anyone else buy one-- I agree with the above, though it shoots a bit flatter with heavier bullets. Which is rarely of benefit. I didn't see any difference in effect on game over .30-06/.308 class cartridges.

As for my pick: You cannot rate a .375 H&H highly enough. You gotta see one work to believe it. : )

I think the 7mm Rem Mag is overrated because what it offers in performance isn't equal what you have to pay for that extra performance. To much muzzle blast, recoil, longer barrel and action making guns heavier to carry in the field. Why choose a 7mm Rem Mag over a 270 Win or 30-06. As for 32 ACP it might be better than 22 LR but it certainly isn't better than 22 WMR IMHO.

I would argue that a .32 ACP is a superior choice to .22 WMR. Far more reliable as it's centerfire, and from a tiny pocket pistol (which is the only reason one should ever buy a .32 ACP; sorry James Bond fans) the .22 WMR offers nothing significant over .22 LR but a huge fireball. Which is probably why there are no tiny .22 WMR pocket pistols, come to think of it, but plenty of .32s.

I would argue that a .32 ACP is a superior choice to .22 WMR. Far more reliable as it's centerfire, and from a tiny pocket pistol (which is the only reason one should ever buy a .32 ACP; sorry James Bond fans) the .22 WMR offers nothing significant over .22 LR but a huge fireball. Which is probably why there are no tiny .22 WMR pocket pistols, come to think of it, but plenty of .32s.
I own both and will admit neither is a real good choice in self defense situations but 32 acp is a glorified cap gun. like the other guy said as the barrel gets longer, especially in rifles, that's when the difference really shows. Now if we were to compare 32 H&R Mag or 327 Fed Mag to 22 WMR id be singin a different song. especially from a rifle.

Most "Improperly Utilized" award winner would have to be 22-250. Would be fun with with s fast twist barrel and heavy loads like a 90 grain vld.

Same can be said for the .270 win. I am no .270 fan, but 150 - 170 class bullets would be a game changer for that round. People are ditching the .338 Lapua with the discovery of the 230 grain bullets in the .30 cal magnums.

Yeah... there are several of these "Cartridge would be far more useful if the factory barrels had the right twist rates" cartridges.

.243... can't shoot the 105 class bullets you need for 1000 yard shooting, otherwise .243 is a fine 1000 yard (target! Not hunting!) round. But you have to rebarrel it.

.270, yep it could use heavier bullets to good effect. BUT... there are not a lot of target bullet choices in this diameter, even though it's functionally equivalent to the 6.5x284 Norma.

7mm Mags as I recall, don't stabilize the 180s, again, making what is potentially a great 1000 yard target cartridge, into "not". Unless you rebarrel, and then you might as well choose a variant without the belted case.

.22-250, factories don't ship with barrels for shooting the heavies.

If you get you a 1 in 10" twist .30 cal, I think you can shoot the 230s. I've stopped at Berger 210s in my 11-twist .300 RUM, but at 3050, they make 300+ yard quick shots practical. The 230s would be supersonic to a mile, I expect.

Yeah... there are several of these "Cartridge would be far more useful if the factory barrels had the right twist rates" cartridges.

If you get you a 1 in 10" twist .30 cal, I think you can shoot the 230s. I've stopped at Berger 210s in my 11-twist .300 RUM, but at 3050, they make 300+ yard quick shots practical. The 230s would be supersonic to a mile, I expect.

A 1:10 can stabilize the 230s no problem. I shoot fast twist in all my rifles. Got a 6 Dasher with a 1:8 twist for 105-115s. My 6.5CM is in 1:8 as well. I have seen guys use a 1:12 twist up to 185 grains in the .308 win. But the 1:10 is the best do it all twist for 30 cals.

Back
Top Bottom