• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Most overrated and underrated rifle cartridges

223 overrated. you can carry a lot of rounds, but it's hardly a step up from varmint rounds (head towards 6.8spc if you want performance in the AR15 platform- if only Remington hadn't screwed up the chamber specs)

280 underrated as others have stated. single shot, pump or bolt. it's all good in the hood. love mine. need to find a good bolt gun some day (#1 and 7600 so far). Maybe a 280AI barrel for a Nucleus action?
I bought the Remington model 700 mountain rifle the first year they came out in the 280 Remington. This gun has over a hundred deer under its belt. I now carry a 308 tika ultra light camouflage stock in stainless steel.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Still don't understand how to answer if we don't know the use case. For precision, yeah .270 is overrated. For bang-flops on whitetail it's underrated.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Still don't understand how to answer if we don't know the use case. For precision, yeah .270 is overrated. For bang-flops on whitetail it's underrated.

Pick an application. Doesn’t matter. I chose Hunting as an example. 7mm Rem Mag, 300 Win Mag are overrated to me when compared to 270 Win, 308 Win, 7mm-08, 30-06. Which to me are just about perfect for deer. The big magnums don’t really offer much other than extra cost, muzzle flash and recoil IMO. Like I said you choose the application.

.270 Win = overrated

Underrated:
.280 Remington
.338-06 (esp in the AI version)
.35 Whelen
.30-06
.300WinMag

Blasphemy on the .270. Smh...
I do agree with all the others, although I am uncertain if they are truly underrated....and .308 is overrated.

Overrated and underrated for what? Depends on the use.

^^And that's the bottom line. Most of the calibers mentioned here are hunting rounds, primarily, and that's where my rifles see real use, so that's how my opinions are formed. Everyone and every application is different.

Back
Top Bottom