• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Most overrated and underrated rifle cartridges

6.5 creedmoor overrated

7mm tcu, 204 ruger and .280 remington are all underrated.

7mm TCU Fan! Awesome! I have one in a TC contender with a 14 inch bull barrel. Awesome little round. Reminds me of the .300 whisper before the tacticool crowd pillaged it.

I love all those cool TC contender wildcat rounds.

223/556 most overrated, it lacks quick one shot incapacitation compared to 30 cal. rounds. I know you can carry a lot more ammo, but you won't need all that ammo if you carry something in 30 cal cause you won't have to shoot somebody 3 times.

I know now I am the bad guy for stating this

223/556 most overrated, it lacks quick one shot incapacitation compared to 30 cal. rounds. I know you can carry a lot more ammo, but you won't need all that ammo if you carry something in 30 cal cause you won't have to shoot somebody 3 times.

Maybe SS109/ M855, but statement below got me thinking. Mk262 77gr is very effective!

https://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/munitions/mk262.htm
Kills were made with this load out to 700 meters. According to one account, in one engagement two SF operators armed with SPRs killed 75 Taliban with 77 rounds. Upgraded to become the current MK 262 Mod 1, this load features a 77-grain Sierra MatchKing with a cannelure for reliable operation in full-automatic weapons.

Maybe SS109/ M855, but statement below got me thinking. Mk262 77gr is very effective!

"two SF operators armed with SPRs killed 75 Taliban with 77 rounds."

This story has to be fabricated. Also, the two guys are SF so no one had the balls to question the validity of their statements. The SMK is an awesome long range round for punching paper. I would not call it effective for delivering energy into a target. They normally pencil through with little to no bullet disruption. It has to have a hard hit on bone to get the explosive effect people normally speak about. If the 75 taliban were killed it was either through some kind of auto aim feature (sarcasm) during room clearing or these dudes are insane marksman and were doing headshots within ~200-300 yards. With the fog of war and how we get tunnel vision during fire fights, I call the quote above false.

The 700 yard kills are more believable, but still highly doubtful. At 700 yards it has 292lbs of energy. Taliban are behind cover and concealment, they have on gear, and constantly move. Also, the terrain makes it somewhat impossible to see them at that distance. Maybe this round was fired in SAWs that were rocking and rolling and they walked massive amount of rounds onto the target. Thats feasible.

There are stories of guys complaining about the 5.56 in battle. Thats its not strong enough. Their evidence is that they shot AND HIT the enemy 15x and the guy would not go down. Well upon further analysis the Soldier/Marine shot 30x and only hit the enemy once in the shoulder. The way our brain interprets stressful events and tries to make sense of them normally differs greatly from what actually happened. I think thats what happend with the 2 SF guys killing 77 dudes.

Anyway how about that .30-30, eh? :cool::D

https://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/munitions/mk262.htm
Kills were made with this load out to 700 meters. According to one account, in one engagement two SF operators armed with SPRs killed 75 Taliban with 77 rounds. Upgraded to become the current MK 262 Mod 1, this load features a 77-grain Sierra MatchKing with a cannelure for reliable operation in full-automatic weapons.
Right, kills out to 700 meters, But how quickly were they incapacitated? what if you shoot a guy and he still kills you before he dies, That's no good! I'm not looking to necessarily kill an attacker but I am looking to immediately incapacitat them, the 30 cal family does this much better than the 22 cal family. It really comes down to what you can destroy in the human body, At the end of the day the 30 cal makes a bigger hole than a 22 cal with expansion figured in for both, Bigger hole the greater chance you got at hitting something that matters. I like all the edge I can get.

And if I am going to have to engage live adversaries at 700 meters I would rather have a 308 or 300 win mag not a 223/556.

7mm08 is underated - IMHO it is the best hunting cartridge in production right now. The sectional density of plain jane .284 bullets coupled with moderate velocity equals great on game performance. Light recoil, and compact rifles are hard to beat. I wouldn't hesitate to hunt any game in North America(except big bears) and African Plains game up to Eland.

All magnums less than .338 offer no ballistic advantage in real hunting applications over the plain old aught six. All marketing hype.
There's that old aught six nuber I like so much. There's a under rated cartridge for ya.

Or you could, you know-- not use FMJ. There's plenty of expanding ammo out there.

Or you could, you know-- not use FMJ. There's plenty of expanding ammo out there.
I don't think I said anything about the use of fmj, why would one use fmj unless they were in the military. The point is the same a 30 cal expanding bullet will be larger than a 22 cal expanding bullet after both have expanded.
It isn't rocket science.

Not by the current crop of shooters they ain’t. They sell them both short.

They disdain .308 for the 6.5 Creedmoor.

The pendulum is finally swinging back to the .300WinMag. The military had to have the .338 Lapua, now they’re finally getting rid of it and going back to the .300WinMag. It’s an easy 2,000yd cartridge.
308-65-ussocom-meme.jpg

Back
Top Bottom