• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Most overrated/overpricedgun(s)?

Kimbers in general, they need to cut their advertising budget in half and spend it on QC and customer service

any colt 1911 special edition model such as the wiley clapp

S&W 1911's

FNAR

Last edited:
Tex06, old S&W revolvers over priced? Of course they are over priced! But they do not make them anymore. Yeah, I have several old Smiths and I know how hard good old Smiths are to find. Not shooter grade ones, but the really good ones. Try finding a model 29-2 or earlier, in the box, and at 90% or better. Over priced, yes, but it boils down to supply and demand. So, I say, yeah, over priced, but not over rated.

I know I will get demonized for saying this, but I'm a shooter and not a collector:

1911's (copies) are generally overpriced, over prized, over rated (unless you spend $100's customizing them), heavy,
under capacity (7-8 round magazines!?), nad totally over hyped.

Why buy a 1911 (copied) pistol when you can get so many other pistolos that are far more accurate right out of the box?

BTW: I'm old enough to remember when, with an NRA Membership, you could get a government surplus 1911 for $50.
Didn't buy one then, will not buy one now!

Tex06, old S&W revolvers over priced? Of course they are over priced! But they do not make them anymore. Yeah, I have several old Smiths and I know how hard good old Smiths are to find. Not shooter grade ones, but the really good ones. Try finding a model 29-2 or earlier, in the box, and at 90% or better. Over priced, yes, but it boils down to supply and demand. So, I say, yeah, over priced, but not over rated.

Let me start off with tellin' ya where I come from. My grandfather has the world's largest collection of J-frame revolvers and has been collecting Smiths since the 1950s. Now this by no means makes me an expert on the subject, but I have met my fair share of collectors at meets and know the attitude most of them carry towards the "classic" pre-lock Smiths. When I ask why they collect them the answer is "They're the best revolver ever made". Seriously, that's the answer word for word probably 80% of the time. Good revolver, yes. Best ever? All of them? I don't see it. JMO. :D

Tex06, you are correct. Some of those Smith "collectors" are rude, snobby, and down right arrogant! They believe if it doesn't say Smith and Wesson, and pre-lock, it isn't any good. Those like that are the problem. Smith makes a good revolver, some of them are downright great, but ALL Smith revolvers are not the best ever. Those that know me, know I have a desire, that borders on obession, with nickel plated Smiths. Finding a good one is really difficult, and they do bring a premium. They are overpriced. But, when I have the money, I buy 'em. BTW, love to see you grand father's collection!

Ruh oh! LOL. I kinda agree. I have a bottom barrel Olympic arms that has ran FLAWLESS since the day I got it. Never one problem. I know a lot of them are hit or miss though.

You obviously have not run it hard enough. Run a carbine class, then come back and let's see if you have the same opinion.

JWC, I'm actually flying out tonight to visit my grandfather, he had a massive stroke yesterday. When I'm not in the hospital I'll see if I can grab a picture of some of the collection, I'll have a lot of time on my hands.....it's something like 250 J-frames. All different calibers, barrel lengths, collector editions, etc.

Overrated, old S&W revolvers. Seriously, the new ones are just as reliable.

I beg to differ, and no, I am not one of those snobbish S&W collectors. I generally buy shooter grade stuff because I will shoot anything I buy. The old ones have a better feel and better craftsmanship than the new ones. I have and do own both...but give me a pre-1980 S&W over a new one any day.

The new ones are not as reliable as a well-maintained old one. They are machined cheaper with cheaper materials, the lock is a POS and will engage when least expected on a high-recoil weapon (I disable mine anyway) and the frame-mounted firing pin is not a good design either.

...but I have met my fair share of collectors at meets and know the attitude most of them carry towards the "classic" pre-lock Smiths. When I ask why they collect them the answer is "They're the best revolver ever made". Seriously, that's the answer word for word probably 80% of the time. Good revolver, yes. Best ever? All of them? I don't see it. JMO. :D

Tex06, you are correct. Some of those Smith "collectors" are rude, snobby, and down right arrogant! They believe if it doesn't say Smith and Wesson, and pre-lock, it isn't any good. Those like that are the problem. Smith makes a good revolver, some of them are downright great, but ALL Smith revolvers are not the best ever. Those that know me, know I have a desire, that borders on obession, with nickel plated Smiths. Finding a good one is really difficult, and they do bring a premium. They are overpriced. But, when I have the money, I buy 'em. BTW, love to see you grand father's collection!

I can't argue with these statments at all. I have an obsession/addiction to old Smiths. They are overpriced (especially by collectors), but they are my passion. The best ever...well, maybe not. But better than most made today...at least IMO they are. OMV of course...:lol:

Back
Top Bottom