• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Most reliable 1911 ( Full Size) under or around 1200 Bucks

Interesting that my least reliable 1911 was a stainless Colt Officer model in 45 acp.
never could get that thing to run 100% on even FMJ much less JHP.
which why would anyone (me) buy an officers model unless to carry it?
2 trips to Colt, one to my Gunsmith and me fiddling with it never did get it 100%.
now I got 2 other Colts that run like sewing machines.
Likely my most reliable 1911's are a Springer Range Officer, a Dan Wesson, a Rock Tac II in 10 MM, a ATI Titan (and this is a defender size) and a springer ultra compact (alloy frame officers).
I also have 2 taurus 1911 that run very well, 2 others were dawgs, they run fine now after some minor work.
so ??
don't know what you or I can get from this other than any weapon can be unusually good or BAD?

I'd like some feedback from members with personal experience with 1911s. Mainly full size guns under or maybe around 1200 bucks. In other words-no Wilson Combat or Ed Brown kind of stuff. I love 1911s but as much as I hate to admit it every once in a while they jam. I still love them but I like to have a screw driver and a pair of pliers to pry out stuck casings. I did find a trick that helps. I have an old ammo can with "US 45 CAL BALL" printed on the side. As long as my 1911s see me take ammo out of that happy. They will fire .410 shells If they come out of that can. Seriously though, I want to buy a new 1911 and I want one that will eat anything you put in it. I've heard some good things about Smith and Wesson E-Series. I bought a Springfield EMP4 9mm a few months ago and it is pure magic, but its not a 45 and its not Govt. size. Any feedback? Buy the way if anyone has a Springfield V-16 45 Super Longslide I'm looking for one.
Kimber TLE-RL Springfield TRP or sig scorpion if you like FDE ALL FOR AROUND OR UNDER THAT PRICE RANGE.

From my experience, most everything in the $1k range is reliable. Just stay away from Kimber as they can put out some duds. I loved my Smith E Series and regret letting that one go. TRP Operator should be pretty easy to come by in your price range as well.

michael30176 michael30176 has a sweet Sig setup for sale as well. I like Sig 1911's, but some purists may not care for the external extractor
https://www.theoutdoorstrader.com/threads/fs-ft-sig-scorpion-carry-threaded-barrel.1367469/
I like the external extractors, they tend to be more reliable if you find yourself picking up reloads they are a little oversized on the auto rim. When traditional internal extractors will fail. Thanks for the good word on the Scorpion pistol you have there looks great.

First lets address the reliability of a 1911. Every once and a while you may run across one that has other issues than these 2 issues. But other issues are rare. The 2 main issues are easily addressed and account for the large majority of 1911 issues. One is crappy magazines. I recommend Wilson, McCormick or Kimber Pro magazines. The other issues, and you probably will run into this one on a new gun, is the extractor is not adjusted correctly. I find most of the time, new guns are adjusted too tight. There are several very good tutorials on Utube as to how to adjust an extractor. Once these 2 issues are dealt with a 1911 becomes one of the most reliable firearm I have ever owned. As for guns in the price range you mentioned, there are dozens to choose from. Ruger, Springfield, Colt and Kimber. Yes Kimber. People want to bad mouth the MIM parts but in all the years I have been around 1911s I have never spoke to one person that personally had an MIM part break.

I have owned four. The Springfield A1 Loaded is a fine, fine weapon. Never had a problem with it. I now a Smith & Wesson E series, another fine handgun. I just bought a Remington R1 Hunter 6 inch barrel 10mm. Now that one needed a little messaging to run smooth. My first 1911 was a Stainless Taurus PT1911. Believe it or not I never had a issue with that Taurus PT1911 never a one. It ate everything you threw at it and just kept on running. Now don't get me wrong I wouldn't get one over a Springfield A1 Loaded but for a man on a budget the PT1911 isn't a bad choice. I would say any of the well known 1911 manufacturers put out a good product. Just don't sucked into the Kimber black hole. They are pretty but don't perform on bit better than say a Springy, S&W, Ruger. My best friend went and bought three or four Kimbers just listening to the hype and the day he bought his Springfield A1 Loaded he exact words were " Now that a 1911 ". The are balanced, the triggers are butter and the action is smooth so smooth. Just pick up one and sample the trigger before you buy anything. They aren't a Nighthawk, or a Les Bear but for the money I believe they are one of the best 1911's you can get. I sold mine like a dumb ass and I am looking to replace it immediately.
The Remington Hunter in 10 mm is a cannon. Since it's one inch longer than a full size 1911 it's very accurate.
The two guns look the same length but the S&W has a compensator so that's why they look the same. If I took the comp off the S&W would be noticeably shorter.

Attachments

• 20170308_131851.jpg
    20170308_131851.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 16
A good idea is to take your home defense ammo and run 3 or 4 mags through whatever you get just to make sure your guns like that ammo. What I have seen that the hollow point ammo with the little polymer insert works very well since there are no hard edges to get hung up on anything.

Back
Top Bottom