• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Most reliable 1911 ( Full Size) under or around 1200 Bucks

I run a Sig Max Michel in Competition. It has never failed to function Properly, except when I run mu fat thumb on the slide. Operator error of course.
I really love the sig and am contemplating another Max Michel in 9mm. They make a nice stainless model for under 1K.

1911 reliability? ? Although not sub 1200 dollar guns I have run one over 14000 rounds straight without a failure. And another gun averaged one failure about every 10000 rounds.

I guess every persons definition of "reliable" is different. I have many times heard people say their CZs and Baretta 92s running 2 or 3 thousand rounds without one failure. Can a 1911 do this with good mags, good technique and good ammo.

UMM, actually I have a CZ P=01 that's now north of 8000 rounds and no failure of any type, a CZ Sp-01 that's north of 6000 rounds with no failure of any kind and a CZ 97 BD thats north of 5000 rounds and no failures of any kind, I know all these figures are correct as I quit keeping count at that number of each and that was some time ago.
simply the most reliable weapons that I have ever owned.
this is with 5-6-7 different Hollow points and a couple different target rounds (flat point, round nose, SWC) both reloads nd factory ammo.. but of course the discussion as about 1911's.
guess what I carry though??
yep CZ!

broken sear.jpg

never seen a MIM 1911 part fail??

oh yeah they fail... Mim hammers seem to be pretty good but you'll never find a mim sear in any of my pistols...

1911 reliability? ? Although not sub 1200 dollar guns I have run one over 14000 rounds straight without a failure. And another gun averaged one failure about every 10000 rounds.

It's weird to me that some ppl are stating they've had so many different failures with x many different 1911's. I've owned/shot a bunch of 1911's...probably 20 or so and I've only had one that had failures. All the others were 100 percent.

Also remember everybody's opinion about deferent brands are just that an opinion.
The experience each person has with one particular Brand is not what others will experience.
I have built 1911's from Frame up and had the same results as others with other brands (just and example of high cost Parts) and I have had a ATI 350.00 1911 that was just as reliable.
The 1911 Platform is a reliable firearm in all its Appearances and shapes.
The Debate will always go on about this brand is better than that brand when in reality you get good and bad in anything.
Now my experience has been, if the pistol is in spec it will shoot Ball ammo (as designed) till you run out of ammo and never an issue.
I have owned all of the ones mentioned so far in this Thread, but you asked for "opinion".
Best suggestion is go to a range that rents the pistols you like and shoot them and see for yourself.
I have a Springfield RO that will always be in my collection as well as the Ruger 1911 too.
I will never own another Kimber, The pistol was reliable but again another story for another day.
I have a Palmetto State 1911 that is just a eating machine and I built it up from a frame (back when they sold off frames) it is mostly Wilson Parts, and it was fun building it.
I have a Rock Island Compact 1911 that has never FTF FTE Ever and I paid 400.00 for it like new on the ODT (lol).
With all of these "Brands" just chose the one that appeals to you and GO.
OOPS forgot to mention the External Ejectors on some 1911 Look-a-likes LOL.
I have 2 that have external Ejectors and the both are Awesome shooters with Zero Issues so do not let Purest who do not like external ejectors Turn you away from a Fine 1911 Pistol.
I have the Sig and a Smith and Wesson 1911 and both are awesome shooters.
This is a more Detailed "Opinion" as I was at work on my last one and today I am Off Work.
So in Summary any of the ones mentioned in this Thread will be a Fine Pistol for you to own.
If the pistol is in Spec it should shoot ball ammo till you run out of it.
Just my REAL .02 worth. YMMV

Good post man. I have no doubt you've gone through many rounds with various 1911's and your take on it is appreciated.

And I'm glad you mentioned ball ammo. 1911's were designed for ball ammo and if times were had and ball is all one could find, might as well go with .45!

And I'm glad you mentioned ball ammo. 1911's were designed for ball ammo and if times were had and ball is all one could find, might as well go with .45!

actually IF you think about it I believe that every semi auto weapon that was designed in the early 1900's were designed to operate on so called Ball ammo, simply because that is all that was available in those times.
Interestingly about every Firearm from the 1700's was designed to work on Black Powder!!---GriiiiN.

My vote is for the Dan Wesson Heritage. You're at the price point for a brand new one, they have a few details that set them above the rest---front night sight, forged frame, stainless steel with polished flats (which I prefer), flat topped slide---serrated also IIRC. I think you can actually get them a little under $1200. I paid $1050 for the one I had and I kinda wish I still had it. The Colt Gold Cup Trophy is the same price range but has a cast frame IIRC...which was a big reason I bought the DW.

Edit: The DW also has all tool steel parts, no MIM. Series 70.

Heritage has slide serrations but does NOT have front strap checkering. OP, you could also save up a bit more and watch gun broker like a hawk and find a CBOB for 1200-1300. It may take awhile but it can be done. I have found that is the best place to find DW. Most people that buy them hold onto them and they hold value very well.

Back
Top Bottom