• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Most versatile BIG BORE magnum, that's economical?

CR2008

Default rank <200 posts
Tracker
26   0
Reaction score
Hi all, I am hoping to buy my first BIG BORE magnum SA revolver, and I am wandering about what's the most economical and versatile round to go with? Accuracy is important as well, I want something that can shoot silhouette, hunt wild hog, and plink (without going broke).

How does the 45-70 sound, in a 10" barrel from a magnum research BFR? 500s&w is too expensive to buy over the counter. I like the IDEA of the 454 being about to chamber 45LC too. I reload 38 special, so I have a basic concept of reloading.
Thanks

I'd go for a Ruger Super Blackhawk in .44 mag. If you are looking for economical and "reloadability" then the .44 mag would meet those requirements and also the silhouette, hunting and for plinking. Plus you could load down to 44 special to save on powder.

AND - it will blow your head "Clean off".

clint.jpg

The ultimate versatile big bore cartridge I've found is the 450 Marlin. Something chambered in it can fire .454 Casull, 45/70, .410

I LIKE 5 IN 460 SMITH. I CAN SHOOT 45 COLT 454 AND 460 OUT OF IT. YOU CAN SHOOT 45 COLT SNAKE SHOT. MY 500 SMITH YOU CAN SHOOT ANLY 500. AN 44 MAG I HAVE MAG AND SPECIAL AND SNAKE SHOT. I LIKE THEM ALL!

I guess that I am a bit confused here?
it appears that you are asking about a cartridge and buying it across the counter, not reloading it?
if that's the case the 44 mgg is likely your best choice.
if looking to reload a particular cartridge then powder is the cheapest part of the reloading materials, and you aren't going to see a lot of difference IF you are truly loading MAGNUM rounds.
you also need to think about acquiring brass, and the 44 mag would be the easiest to come by.
I hunted deer and wild Boar (not feral hogs) with a 41 mag and it was plenty to get the job done.
just my ideas here.

Back
Top Bottom