• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Most versatile BIG BORE magnum, that's economical?

Ok, I know it is not a SA revolver only. But you did say economical. The Taurus Raging Bull in .454 will also fire the .45lc. Comes in many barrel lengths from 2.25" to over 8". The versatility of the gun, the different barrel lengths offered, and with a price tag of between $589 and $775, depending on barrel length and condition, make it a versatile and rather economical gun. Now, I agree with MULESHOE. The S&W M460 is, to me, the most versatile revolver, giving you the option of 3 different rounds, but I cannot tell you that it is an "economical" revolver from a price standpoint. The reviews on the Taurus are not all good, but not all bad. I just believe it fits your criteria, except for it being a SA/DA revolver. Just my opinion.

I own a 460 and will tell you it is not a single action pistol, but by far the most versatile, I own a 454 Freedom Arms pistol and honestly not sure I have shot it sense I got the 460. 46 lc and even 454 are like shooting a cap gun in the 460. good luck

Most versital will be the the 460 S&W, it is definatly a bad ass revolver, however with prices Well over a thousand dollars it will not be cheap at all to obtain and the 454 and 460 brass costs more than the 44 mag. You can shoot 460,454 and 45 colt like people have said on here With it. The 45 colt brass and 44 mag brass is about the same price if your looking for fired brass, these two bullets also take similar weighted bullets between the 44 mag and 45 colt.. The 44 mag does have the 44 special as an options however I find its fired brass costs the same as the 44 mag brass does for the reason its not as plentiful as the 44 mag brass. 44 spl takes less powder and you typically shoot a lot lighter bullet in it also.

Economical and doing the job I would pick a 44 mag in Ruger Redhawk, Ruger Super Redhawk or Ruger Black hawk with my preference of the standard Redhawk. You can find them used anywhere from 550-750 for the Red Hawk, and Super RedHawk periodically, with the Black hawk usually being the cheapest.

I have done the whole Judge revolver thing as well, it shoots 454/45colt/410, and just found it to be a better glovebox gun or gun kept at the house in case a snake is in the yard. I would trust my life more with a Redhawk if on the ground with hogs in the dark.

460 S&W http://www.gunbroker.com/Firearms/BI.aspx?Keywords=460+S&W

This is my preference
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=539548931

Best bang for your buck is a Ruger Blackhawk in 44mag. Under $400 and 44 mag is cheap to reload, awesome pig and deer round and fun at the range!

+1 on the 44 mag.

if you are talking economical to purchase and shoot it wins IMHO. brass is easy to find and pretty inexpensive (starline makes good stuff and you can buy their brass new for what folks sell used brass on the ODT), you can load up everything from 200gr lead bullets to 300 gr XTP's, light loads to full house stuff. Load up 44 specials if you want extra light or find some good cowboy loads.

+1 on the ruger super blackhawk, love my Hunter, Taurus if you want a bit less investment but still good quality, BFR, S&W, etc. etc.

Rifle- bolt guns, lever actions, or semi auto 44 mags are available.

Pistol- semi auto (magnum research), revolver of course.

take your choice. you can even thread a barrel and run 300gr subsonic with a can if you want to. :)

If your going to reload I'd go with 44 mag, 45 colt or 454 casull. I ended up going with the 454 in a Super Redhawk, I like that I can shoot the 45 colt in it for standard hunting and still have the 454 casull for bear loads.

Back
Top Bottom