• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Most Versatile Pistol for IDPA, Bullseye, Service Pistol, 2 Gun , 3 Gun etc etc?

Sadly, it seems the only bullseye competitions are only for 45 1911’s and 22’s. I would LOVE if there were a slowfire, accuracy based type of pistol competition. If you want a gun you can use for IDPA, USPSA, Steel Challenge, and GSSF, you’d be hard pressed to find a better all-around gun than the G17. Another fine choice is the 34, but it does limit you in some classes in GSSF. Top level competitors use both with good success.

Pick the Modern service pistol that you like and is reliable and go nuts. I can’t think of many pistols that will hold you back unless it’s unreliable. Just about anyone can make it to Master in USPSA or Master in IDPA with any modern service 9mm if you practice enough. Even once you get to GM it seems the differences in guns are negligible with regards to your performance. See Bob Vogel and Shane Coley winning National Championships shooting Glocks. The biggest thing I’ve seen is that if you have a gun you really love, you’re more likely to dryfire and practice with it.

I shoot a Walther Q5 and love it. Is it a little “flippier” in recoil than a CZ or Tanfoglio? A little bit, but I shoot it well and it’s reliable. If I ever get to the point where I am in the running at Nationals I’ll reasses my gun choices.

It is hard to find an all in one, universal gun. I used to shoot a lot of Steel Challenge, bowling pins, and USPSA—a couple matches/month for about ten years. Glocks and 1911’s were always what worked for me and most other people. There are a lot of reasons why.

The G17 will do it all, last the longest, and require the least maintenance, least money.

It is hard to find an all in one, universal gun. I used to shoot a lot of Steel Challenge, bowling pins, and USPSA—a couple matches/month for about ten years. Glocks and 1911’s were always what worked for me and most other people. There are a lot of reasons why.

The G17 will do it all, last the longest, and require the least maintenance, least money.
I picked up a G19. Going to use it today on some targets.

I dig the G34 and G41. Both are very nice and reasonable. I just wonder how far my G19 can take me. I can shoot the Pi$$ out of my G19.

The 41 doesn’t really fit neatly into any competition I’m aware of. My philosophy is that you’ll also want to pick up another Glock besides the 19 to be married to if you get serious about any kind of competition. The 19 can definitely be used to win matches, but you don’t see top guys using them in any discipline. Might as well get used to the balance, timing, sight picture etc as early as possible.

A Glock 17 is PERFECT for GSSF and could still literally take you to Grand Master in USPSA.

A Glock 34 is PERFECT for USPSA, but can easily take you to Master in GSSF (you wouldn’t be alloweded to shoot AM Civ class, but could still compete and win Competition class).

Either would be greatly improved by a Vanek Trigger and Dawson Sights. A big competitive advantage would also be gained by shooting Atlanta Arms 124gr (or 147gr) Minor pf loads. Or better yet load your own.

Back
Top Bottom