• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Most Versatile Pistol for IDPA, Bullseye, Service Pistol, 2 Gun , 3 Gun etc etc?

The 41 doesn’t really fit neatly into any competition I’m aware of. My philosophy is that you’ll also want to pick up another Glock besides the 19 to be married to if you get serious about any kind of competition. The 19 can definitely be used to win matches, but you don’t see top guys using them in any discipline. Might as well get used to the balance, timing, sight picture etc as early as possible.

A Glock 17 is PERFECT for GSSF and could still literally take you to Grand Master in USPSA.

A Glock 34 is PERFECT for USPSA, but can easily take you to Master in GSSF (you wouldn’t be alloweded to shoot AM Civ class, but could still compete and win Competition class).

Either would be greatly improved by a Vanek Trigger and Dawson Sights. A big competitive advantage would also be gained by shooting Atlanta Arms 124gr (or 147gr) Minor pf loads. Or better yet load your own.

Which do you prefer 17 or 34?

there is a good reason the 1911 rules bullseye competition. when you are shooting one handed at 50 yards in slow fire you need the best trigger you can get and a very accurate pistol. we do shoot 1911 in calibers other than 45 the 9mms and 38 supers show up for the centerfire stage of Bullseye as well as an occasional 38 special.. Most BE shooters do compete in CMP EIC matches that only allow iron sights.. Get a Springer Range Officer and have at it. Fun matches that are fairly short in duration. If any striker pistol could make it in BE it would have been used. there have been the occasional XDM and Glock used for the CMP matches by the AMU. Berretta 92 s also.

Bullseye does not force you to use any make of pistol.

3 courses of fire: 900 points each

22 - pretty much any 22 and you see a ton of different one used. but again trigger and accuracy matter most.

Centerfire - any pistol .32 caliber and up revolvers included

45 - any .45 caliber pistol.

Very challenging sport

there is a good reason the 1911 rules bullseye competition. when you are shooting one handed at 50 yards in slow fire you need the best trigger you can get and a very accurate pistol. we do shoot 1911 in calibers other than 45 the 9mms and 38 supers show up for the centerfire stage of Bullseye as well as an occasional 38 special.. Most BE shooters do compete in CMP EIC matches that only allow iron sights.. Get a Springer Range Officer and have at it. Fun matches that are fairly short in duration. If any striker pistol could make it in BE it would have been used. there have been the occasional XDM and Glock used for the CMP matches by the AMU. Berretta 92 s also.

22 - pretty much any 22 and you see a ton of different one used. but again trigger and accuracy matter most.

Very challenging sport

Are modifications allowed (like aftermarket barrels?). What size targets are used? I thought about practicing and getting into BE competition; though one handed at 50 yards is heroically hard!

Very challenging sport

When shooting USPSA, IDPA or any other practical shooting sport where you actually run a gun hard and I see a guy have a malfunction, I automatically assume 1911 and I’m right 90% of the time. They are absolutely conducive to very accurate shooting, but you need to make sure you have three of them. One to shoot, one on the way to the gunsmith and one on the way back from the gunsmith.

funny........ I shoot a couple of 1911s pretty much every week that are BE pistols .. they will group around under 2" at 50 yards and I have no failures at all this year.. these guns are tight as anything you ever saw and they function perfectly.... gun failures in BE are a big No No just like any gun sport.. cost you points in Bullseye timed events that you can't make up... Different sport than IDPA and USPSA but a reliable gun still is mandatory... Actually see more 22 failures than 1911 most weekends. Typical Match I will fire 180 rounds of 45.

admittedly these are not off the shelf 1911s in any way given that most carry Red Dots on them but my carry 1911 are built the same way and I depend on them without any fear..

Yes after market barrels and parts are allowed in BE for any pistol.. Most 1911s carry Kart or KKM barrels these days. Target used are the NRA B6 and B8. B6 is used for 50 yards and the B8 for 25.. same exact scoring rings but the 50 yard target has the 8,9 10 rings blackened while the 25yard target has the 9 ,10, rings blacked.. Each target has an X ring a shade over 1.5". the 10 ring is 3.25" and the 9 ring is 5.5".. scoring rings go all the way out to the 5 ring.

22 ammo used is typically std velocity as it tends to be more accurate. A lot of folks start with the Ruger 22 with an upgraded trigger.. The Springfield RO is an excellent pistol to start with for the 45 required.. It can be easily upgraded later if you end up getting serious about the sport. While red dots are used mainly today nothing wrong with iron sights at all.. All time national record for BE was shot with iron sights.. Most all the shooter reload for their non 22 pistols . just cheaper

here is an introduction to BE shooting on the best web site for the sport

http://www.bullseyeforum.net/t4215-a-introduction-into-bullseye-aka-precision-pistol-shooting

We follow NRA rules. Here is the current ones

https://compete.nra.org/documents/pdf/compete/RuleBooks/Pistol/pistol-book.pdf

Today the NRA allows you to shoot the 22 in all 3 Matches so a 45 is not required just to come out and shoot a match. you just complete in a different division.

There are two outdoor matches held most every month in Ga.. one is at South river gun club on the second sunday and River Bend holds the other one on the third sunday.. It is a demanding sport no question but very rewarding. hitting the target at 50 yards one handed sounds tough but it only requires practice. It WILL teach you how to flat out shoot.. I also shot High power rifle a number of years and ago and it can't match BE for the level of challenge.. The discipline also rolls over into the other shooting sports as well.. In fact the winner of this years Bianchi cup was a Bullseye shooter from the AMU, Adam Sokoloski with a perfect score.. Last year he won the iron sight division also with a perfect score. He is currently competing at the national BE championship at Camp Perry OH this week.

Great group of folks that will help you with anything including guns or ammo.. If you have an interest I'd be happy to answer any questions or help you in any way..

Good shooting no matter your sport

Back
Top Bottom