• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Motorcycle riders of ga! Do you put your bikes up for winter or ride on through?

If it was super cold out and I had to ride I wore ski gloves. Worked like a charm.

Never winterized my bike once living in Atlanta. In fact, back when I did track days I didn't have anything but water wetter in with the distilled water in the radiator. Never had an issue when it was parked in the garage. Always kept 50/50 antifreeze when I had it parked outside, though!

Ride right on thru as long as its above freezing. Layer appropriately as needed. Neck/chin gator, hand guards, and heated grips are money well spent. I hear heated apparel is too but I don't do that.

I actually "summer-ize" my bikes (June/July/August) as I can't stand riding in the GA heat. That's my pool time and heavy drinking season!

I rode 4 days a week, 10 hours a day, for 6 straight years, Harley FLHRP. I rode some days when the temp never went north of one digit. I felt colder on days when it was 40 degrees, cloudy, high humidity, that days when it was 25 degrees and sunny. Of course I never had the luxury of heated grips/gloves/jackets/body suit. The days/evenings/nights when it dips below 20 degrees, outside of a electric heated body suit, there aint nothing you can wear that will keep you above miserable! You learn to tolerate the cold, but never really conquer it.

Winterize the bike? What's that? Just crank it, get on, grit your teeth and dump the clutch.

One trick that works for me is to put hand warmers in my gloves on THE BACK OF MY HAND. Just drop them in once your gloves are on. And I also put them TOP OF MY TOES in my boots. I hardly notice them in my boots that way, and my feet sweat on the bottoms, so the warmers don't get wet and hard as fast as if they were under the toes. Also, your blood veins run on top of your hands and feet, so this warms the blood going to the fingers and toes. I've ridden this way when the temps were in the upper 20's and 30's, and though I still got cold, it wasn't unbearable. My wife has even made it a couple times like this.

Like atljetmech, I ride less in the summer months than I do in the winter. I ride in full gear all of the time, so the summer months are damn near unbearable unless I am up in higher elevations.

My gear set up right now is:

Shoei RF1200
BMG Discovery Jacket (super warm with the liner zipped in)
BMG Pioneer pants (long rides or trips)
Aerostich AD1 over pants for commuting
Oxtar Infinities boots
Various gloves, depending on the temp
I have a thin buff that I can use over my chin or for my neck, but my jacket also has an attachment for the neck area for when it's cold out.

I'm always able to get a few days riding during the winter months here in GA. About the only thing I do to the bike is add fuel stabilizer to the tank and connect a battery tender if I know that the bike will sit for a few weeks.

Like others, I ride all winter and put the bikes up summer months. Last year I did over 10K over the winter. This past summer I did a whopping 22 miles.

wear long socks
cover your neck

that's where you lose the most body heat when you ride. I'll ride so long as there isn't snow on the ground.

Back
Top Bottom