• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Motorcyclist with concealed carry permit stops knife-wielding driver in road rage incident

The problem with this is the video only starts after the altercation began.

Did the biker initiate the confrontation? Was there an assault before the video starts? How do we know the biker didn't draw the gun first or threaten to use it, then the other man drew his knife?

Judging by the way the truck is parked and the bike is on the road behind it, it looks like the biker followed him and made it an issue. Can't claim self-defense if you're the aggressor. And if that's true, the truck driver has every right to defend himself against 2 possible attackers. Especially if one let it be known he had a gun before the knife came out.

This isn't so cut and dry as many believe it is. It wouldn't be the first time someone was lying on video to save their spouse or significant other. Both sides are wrong.

No way Paul Sr. clears leather in that time though. Looked like he was carrying in one of those appendix fanny pack holsters.

And he reholstered??
A lot of biker friends keep their guns in a inside pocket of a vest or their jacket. Mine stay on the hip. You are correct the guy with the knife would take less than a second to close the gap and Paul Sr. would have been done. As soon as he exited with a knife I would have unholstered moving backward and put two in the chest. But keeping the distance is the key to surviving a knife attack.

As others have said, we are only seeing a few seconds of what might be a much longer video, and we don't have any video of the first part of the problem / dispute that caused the parties to pull over.

That being said, generally speaking if an angry man gets out of his vehicle and comes toward me brandishing a knife in his hand, I'm going to consider shooting him immediately, UNLESS I reasonably think that's not necessary because I have the ability to calm him down or retreat (in safety, without exposing my back to him, etc.).

If I pulled-over with him and then got off my bike or out of my car and approached HIM, the same way he approached ME, both of us carrying weapons (but mine his still holstered and his in his hand, possibly because he has no holster or sheath for it on his body).... I PROBABLY WILL try to back up and tell him to calm down.

If he continues advancing as I'm retreating, and if he's still shouting angry things while I'm saying calming things, THEN I'm probably going to reasonably figure that this guy and his knife are imminent dangers to me, and I'd shoot.

BUT, keep in mind, this is all based on the idea that the situation may have started in a way that would look (to bystanders and or prosecutors, later) as "mutual combat" where two dicheads square-off in the street to settle a beef like men. If you willingly enter a fight, you probably can't use deadly force to end it, although maybe you could if you were expecting a bare-knuckles brawl and the other guy surprised you by pulling a deadly weapon. I still think you'd be legally (and morally) on safer ground by trying to de-escalate the situation once you see the other guy's got a knife though.

Back
Top Bottom