• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Mountain House food

Dundee

Default rank <1250 posts
ODT Junkie!
48   0
Reaction score
I'll be hiking for a few days this Autumn, and was planning to be eating Mountain House packages. Not wanting to depend on them without giving them a good try first, i'm planning on eating them for three days this week while camping and scouting. Anybody have any comments about being on them for a few days? They block you up or any other random effects? Breakfast, lunch an dinner on them a bit much? Do you get a bit of a salt overload? Any hints or tips?

Can't tell you about the effects of 3 MH a day. I usually eat instant oatmeal for breakfast,snacks and something like packaged ready to eat tuna or salmon for lunch and save the MH for supper after camp is set up and I've got the stove out.

I'll be hiking for a few days this Autumn, and was planning to be eating Mountain House packages. Not wanting to depend on them without giving them a good try first, i'm planning on eating them for three days this week while camping and scouting. Anybody have any comments about being on them for a few days? They block you up or any other random effects? Breakfast, lunch an dinner on them a bit much? Do you get a bit of a salt overload? Any hints or tips?

Invest in a dehydrator and Google recipes for it. In the long run it is much cheaper and you can make better tasting meals.

I agree with Pistolier60 Pistolier60 . I'd try to stick to oatmeal in the morning and maybe only do one or two MH a day. When you're hiking, they're pretty good but I wouldn't want to eat three a day. The variety just isn't there, at least in the multi-packs that I get. I haven't noticed any random effects, but having some other snacks to break things up will help.

I typically eat one a day (dinner), when backpacking and sometimes camping off the motorcycle. Like others, I do instant oatmeal in the morning (mountain house or backpackers pantry has one that is pretty tasty with blueberries if you want to go that route). For lunch, I carry in cheese, beef jerky, beef sticks, peanut butter trail mix, tuna packs, and even Ramen Noodles.

Eating 3 Mountain house or similar brands a day, would get expensive. They typically run around $7 or so a piece. Never had an issue with making poo with just one a day.

I bought a big Mountain House meals kit once and ate nothing but that over a weekend hiking trip. It's okay taste wise, but the voracious fumes that fill the tent at night would have gagged a maggot.

I may take a MH meal or two with me on a trip now, but stick to oatmeal, ramen, instant rice, etc.

I used to hike the Cohuttas when I was younger. A favorite meal was minute rice, an envelope of Liptons chicken soup mix and a pouch of chicken. I would bring the pancake mix that all you did was add water. When the blue berries were ripe, I would pick a bunch and put them in the mix.

Good stuff!

Back
Top Bottom