• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Mounting a scope

Savage7mmMag

Default rank <100 posts
Hunter
6   0
Reaction score
Good evening

I was getting prepared to lap my scope rings and I ran into a snag. This is as close as I can get them aligned. Is it safe to to proceed to lapping? I've turned the rings 180° and I've swapped them around and put them on different spots on the base. Thanks

Attachments

• 20190126_175835.jpg
    20190126_175835.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 32
Good evening

I was getting prepared to lap my scope rings and I ran into a snag. This is as close as I can get them aligned. Is it safe to to proceed to lapping? I've turned the rings 180° and I've swapped them around and put them on different spots on the base. Thanks
Can’t tell to much from photo but few thousandth off have you tried different set of rings? You could lap them again little hard to see exactly how much they are out by photo your base could be little of square

Can’t tell to much from photo but few thousandth off have you tried different set of rings? You could lap them again little hard to see exactly how much they are out by photo your base could be little of square

I only have the one set of rings and my base was level. And it looks to be more like a couple hundred thousandths

Good evening

I wouldn't, especially if its on something heavy recoiling. You don't have another set you could temporarily swap just to test?

If they are available for your rifle, you might try the Leupold Windage adjustable bases, and a set of Leupold rings.

They eliminate the need for lapping as they are windage adjustable and can be shimmed for minor ring height differences.

Some people worry about bending the scope tube with these rings and bases, but if you get a set, you will easily see that this cannot occur. The rings pivot and tilt as they are adjusted, eliminating any scope tube stress.

There are some other brand rings that are windage adjustable, but they simply bend the scope tube for minor adjustments—currently not in vouge with the modern internet rifleman, regardles of how well they work in the real world.

But, to answer your question: you can lap your rings as they are in your picture, and those indicators will come together. Just apply the pressure in the right direction.

Good evening

did my first scope in 66. or 67, an till 2019 have never lapped! but i guess it could be needed? lots of ruger m77 stuff, only went to the 4 grade , but can always hit what i see! . oh great ODT world enlighten me.

Back
Top Bottom