• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Movie: The Road (anyone watched this?)

It all depends on how "world ending" it is. Many event's could be somewhat local and there is still survivable land someplace. Others could be short term. There could be so much dust and ash in the atmosphere that little sunlight get's through and practically everything dies, but the ash settles to the ground in a few years and the earth can then rejuvenate. If you are in it, most of the time you won't know if it's one of these or if it's long term and world wide.

It's also possible for humans to live in an almost closed system for extended periods of time and it's not really that hard to create one with a little care. It would take a lot of effort to live there, but it could be done. If there are outside sources of air and water that can be purified, food can be grown in enclosed areas. The food is where all the work comes in. Generating enough energy for artificial photosynthesis. (powering grow lights)

Generating the power would be difficult. The scenario led me to believe solar wouldnt be an option. Fuel has a rather short shelf life except for propane and natural gas and generators for those suck large amounts of fuel as I understand it. Diesel is a good option if it is treated and stored correctly. Youd need a lot though. I'd be hesitant of burning wood for a gasifier or steam as that would let the roving bands of cannibals know where you're at. Youd need a lot of spare parts for a generator.

Generating the power would be difficult. The scenario led me to believe solar wouldnt be an option. Fuel has a rather short shelf life except for propane and natural gas and generators for those suck large amounts of fuel as I understand it. Diesel is a good option if it is treated and stored correctly. Youd need a lot though. I'd be hesitant of burning wood for a gasifier or steam as that would let the roving bands of cannibals know where you're at. Youd need a lot of spare parts for a generator.
Ever heard of a bike generator? It's muscle powered, thus the hard work. Several people would take turns to light the lights and charge batteries. Fortunately, most plants only need a few hours of good light a day to grow.

Ever heard of a bike generator? It's muscle powered, thus the hard work. Several people would take turns to light the lights and charge batteries. Fortunately, most plants only need a few hours of good light a day to grow.

I think that would require more bike generators and people than the energy created could support. Grow lights aren't energy efficient. Plants need more than a couple hours of sunlight. If you had gravity fed water filtration and manual air filtration (a lot of old bunkers had a manual crank that would force air in and through), and you used gas just for cooking and heat instead of generating electricity than maybe. I still think you would need more people and use more calories than the energy you could produce, store etc. And then you would need the large store of fuel for cooking and heat. Hydroelectric would be the way to go. They make small hydro electric generators.

https://michaelbluejay.com/electricity/bicyclepower.html

http://www.alternative-energy-news.info/micro-hydro-power-pros-and-cons/

Back
Top Bottom