• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Moving - does my permit carry over?

jeepinshep

Default rank <1500 posts
ODT Junkie!
12   0
Reaction score
As most of you who will read this know, I am shipping out to Army Basic Combat Training in September.

I will be relocating my family back to Texas in a few months for a few reasons

1.) My wife and boys will have more of a support structure in place (lots of friends, plus my whole side of the family) during my BCT, DLI, and AIT that they don't have here in Georgia.

2.) Texas does not have a state income tax like Georgia

3.) I'll get paid a higher Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH) in TX than GA, even though the cost of living and typical rental cost is much lower in TX (so we'll actually be able to put a good portion of our BAH into savings).

4.) I'll have an opportunity to spend a couple months of quality time with my parents and siblings as I may not be able to see them again for several years (depending on my duty station and assignments).

So here is my question:

Texas shares/recognizes reciprocity with my GWL. But I will have to establish TX residency in order to realize the financial benefits noted above. That means I'll have to get a TX driver's license again, and surrender my GA driver's license.

Does anybody know if my GWL will still be honored even though I will be a resident of TX? I just got it renewed a few months ago, and I hate that it may be worthless once I move.

Plus, TX has a much more expensive process for obtaining a CHL (Concealed Handgun Licence - TX doesn't allow open carry); $135+ to take the required training (10-15 hours), plus $140 for the license! And the turn-around time to receive the CHL is 60 days.

By the time I settle in from the move, complete the training, and wait for the CHL to arrive, I'll likely have shipped to BCT before I even get the license!

Anybody who understands reciprocity as it relates to relocating residency to another state, please let me know!

-shep-

Last edited:
I would ask Texas this and get it straight from the horses mouth ;)

Yeah, I'd make a call to the Texas Attorney Generals Office. No sense having legal issues that might cause a delay in the military schedule or problems with security clearances.
Thanks for stepping up to serve..I'd go back in but the gray hair gives me away..wish I could.

once you join the army you're exempt anyways. won't need a permit if you have military i.d.

This is what I was referring to when I said call the Texas AG office ...maybe they have something similar to Georgia for military folks
(800) 224-5744, just found this number online. Texas DPS Concealed Weapons License section says they will answer all questions ref. Tx CWL.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom