• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Moving to a new county, do I need a new license?

jsquared

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
43   0
Reaction score
I am contemplating moving out of Fulton county and am wondering if I will need to get a new GWL in the county where I move? I see this question on GCO:

Q: I just moved from Gwinnett County to Fulton County. Do I need to change the address on my license?
A: No. The license is good no matter where you move, even if you move outside the State of Georgia.

Does anyone know if this is backed up by a statute? I looked briefly but did not see one regarding a move from one county to another. Seeing as how I will need to update my driver's license, I thought I would ask to be double sure. TIA.

I don't think you need to update it...although I have not found the regulation either.

I know it is generally done through the probate court for your resident county...so when you renew it, I would say you'd have to go through the county you currently live in.

I'm sure someone knows for sure...and I would like to know the right answer as well.

Nope. When working for bass pro and doing the gun deals, we commonly got different addresses on the license and gwl. I dont know the statute but when i moved down to houston county, i called and asked if i could get a reissue since mine is getting ragged anyway. they said its still valid no matter and if i really really wanted a new one, i could pay for a new one (as in apply for another one) but i didnt need to.

I asked this question at the court house and they said I would not need to update mine if I moved - though I was moving the same county.

Amazingly enough, they told my wife she wouldn't need to update hers even after we got married. So now it has a different last name and address than her DL. Seems a little strange to me but she never carries anyways so I don't stress about it

Couldn't believe when I saw this post yesterday after I had spent at least an hour googling, checking GCO and Cherokee county websites to make sure I didn't need to change addresses after a move! Everything I found said it's good till it expires, even if you move out of state (until you become a "legal" resident of that state), provided it reciprocates.

Back
Top Bottom