• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Moving to GA, shipping my guns--what do I need to know?

Rifleman1776

Default rank <15 posts
Outdoorsman
0   0
Reaction score
Hi guys,

New here. Grew up in the South, but work took me deep into enemy territory in CA for the past 15 years. I had an window open to move my family to Georgia (Atlanta area) for a new job, and am jumping at the opportunity. It's all happening pretty fast, and since we're not driving our stuff across, I need to ship firearms.

4 rifles, 1 shotgun, 3 handguns.

Moving from CA back to free America, I have some questions which may seem silly to y'all but I'm undoing years of regressive conditioning when it comes to being legal with firearms.

1.) Since we don't have our own GA address yet and may not for our first week or two there, should I ship to FFL to hold for me? Any recommendations?

2.) When I pick up, will I need a GA drivers license/proof of residence/vehicle registration/etc with current address?

Thank you!

There is a 10 day cooling off period you have to observe, a universal background check, any Assault Rifles/pistols/shotguns: accepts a detachable magazine, semi-auto, has a pistol grip, heat shield or shoulder thingy or is the color black will need to be registered and stored under a double locked container...

Naw I'm just messing with you.

Are you driving or flying?

If flying mailing to yourself is fine with exeception. As always check with the carrier as each may have different rules to follow and abide by.

http://about.usps.com/postal-bulletin/2011/pb22321/html/updt_001.htm

12.2 Rifles and Shotguns
[Revise renumbered 12.2 as follows:]

Except under 12.1.1d and 12.1.2, unloaded rifles and shotguns are mailable. Mailers must comply with the rules and regulations under 27 CFR, Part 478, as well as state and local laws. The mailer may be required by the USPS to establish, by opening the parcel or by written certification, that the rifle or shotgun is unloaded and not ineligible for mailing under 12.1.1d. The following conditions also apply:

a. Subject to state, territory, or district regulations, rifles and shotguns may be mailed without restriction when sent within the same state of mailing. These items must bear a “Return Service Requested” endorsement, and must be sent by Express Mail (“signature required” must be used at delivery) or Registered Mail, or must include either insured mail service (for more than $200) requiring a signature at delivery.

b. A shotgun or rifle owned by a non-FFL may be mailed outside the owner’s state of residence by the owner to himself or herself, in care of another person in the state, where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. These mailpieces must:

1. Be addressed to the owner.

2. Include the “in the care of” endorsement immediately preceding the name of the applicable temporary custodian.

3. Be opened by the rifle or shotgun owner only.

4. Be mailed using services described in 12.2a.

Handguns a little trickier. FFL, Gun Smith or Manufacturer will need to receive the firearm. Several FFL dealers do free transfers. I'm not sure but check with the GA FFL as to the specifics, process and record keeping.

12.1.2 Handguns

[Revise 12.1.2 as follows:]

Handguns and other firearms capable of being concealed on the person are nonmailable unless mailed between the parties listed in 12.1.3 and 12.1.5 after the filing of an affidavit or statement required by 12.1.4 and 12.1.6, and are subject to the following:

a. Firearms meeting the definition of a handgun under 12.1.1b, and the definition of curios or relics under 27 CFR 478.11 may be mailed between curio and relic collectors only when those firearms also meet the definition of an antique firearm under 12.1.1g.

b. Firearms meeting the definition of a handgun under 12.1.1b that are certified by the curator of a municipal, state, or federal museum that exhibits firearms to be curios or relics of museum interest may be accepted for mailing without regard to 12.1.3 through 12.1.6.

c. Air guns that do not fall within the definition of firearm under 12.1.1a that are capable of being concealed on a person are mailable; but must include adult signature service under 503.8.0. Mailers must comply with all applicable state and local regulations.

d. Parts of handguns are mailable, except for handgun frames, receivers, or other parts or components regulated under Chapter 44, Title 18, U.S.C.

e. Mailers are also subject to applicable restrictions by governments of a state, territory, or district

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/may-nonlicensee-ship-firearm-through-us-postal-service
https://www.ups.com/content/us/en/resources/ship/packaging/guidelines/firearms.html

You can ship the long guns via USPS to you at "general delivery" at whatever post office you choose. Ship them registered mail. USPS will hold the package for 10 days.

You can ship ALL the guns vis UPS or FED EX to yourself and have them held at the depot for delivery.

Or you can ship them to yourself "c/o whoever you want."

Hi guys,

New here. Grew up in the South, but work took me deep into enemy territory in CA for the past 15 years. I had an window open to move my family to Georgia (Atlanta area) for a new job, and am jumping at the opportunity. It's all happening pretty fast, and since we're not driving our stuff across, I need to ship firearms.

4 rifles, 1 shotgun, 3 handguns.

Moving from CA back to free America, I have some questions which may seem silly to y'all but I'm undoing years of regressive conditioning when it comes to being legal with firearms.

1.) Since we don't have our own GA address yet and may not for our first week or two there, should I ship to FFL to hold for me? Any recommendations?

2.) When I pick up, will I need a GA drivers license/proof of residence/vehicle registration/etc with current address?

Thank you!

I'm glad you were able to get out of that commie ****hole. Welcome to Georgia and the ODT. I'm overly cautious, so I would ship them to an FFL I trusted to hold for pickup.

Yeah, long guns can just fly with you, or just ship them to a safe 'holding address (probably can't use USPS, but UPS would work fine.) Same with amm, just mark it "ORM-D".

Handguns probably need to get shipped through an FFL though, although there may be an exception. Even if you can ship them yourself, FedEx and UPS will not handle anything that doesn;t have an FFL on the other side, and they insist on using Next Day which is really expensive.

I would just ship guns and ammo to a 'safe space'. The handguns would be what I would fly with to avoid the whole hassle.

You may need to check with CA as well, to make sure you aren't required to cancel any registrations or such. It would suck to become a felon because you didn't do paperwork in the state you're leaving.

When shipping household goods via truck/common moving services, I thought the taller, wardrobe boxes were specifically designed for this purpose! Pack a few inside with your hanging clothes, tape the boxes really well, and watch them get loaded onto the moving van and make sure you are there for unloading upon arrival in GA. Sounds simple to me, but might not be the most legit method.

Back
Top Bottom