• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Moving.

ATF has been ordered by Congress to keep an accurate record of NFA registered firearms. This information should include where they're presently located and their physical description --to include caliber, barrel length, and overall length.
If any of these things change (permanently), ATF wants to be notified.

I have done this with just a simple letter, less than 50 words long, telling them that I changed my address and took all my NFA toys with me to my new house in the same state.
Well it’s a temporary move till my house sells and we buy another place.

ATF has been ordered by Congress to keep an accurate record of NFA registered firearms. This information should include where they're presently located and their physical description --to include caliber, barrel length, and overall length.
If any of these things change (permanently), ATF wants to be notified.

I have done this with just a simple letter, less than 50 words long, telling them that I changed my address and took all my NFA toys with me to my new house in the same state.
Thier website says other wise. Seems your fine if you stay in state.

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/i-have-nfa-firearm-and-i’m-moving-what-do-i-do

That F.A.Q. is about moving interstate.
The OP's question is about intra-state moving.
For that, ATF doesn't have a specific question and answer on their website, but they do have instructions written right onto the form 4 itself.
Which I already quoted.

Feel free to disregard ATF's instructions if you wish. They probably won't know and may not even care if they did know.

But there's always a risk.
Before you do something that's contrary to the instructions of the federal regulatory agency that can call in federal law enforcement to seize your weapon and prosecute you with a 10 year felony crime hanging over your head,
you should be fully informed.

That F.A.Q. is about moving interstate.
The OP's question is about intra-state moving.
For that, ATF doesn't have a specific question and answer on their website, but they do have instructions written right onto the form 4 itself.
Which I already quoted.

Feel free to disregard ATF's instructions if you wish. They probably won't know and may not even care if they did know.

But there's always a risk.
Before you do something that's contrary to the instructions of the federal regulatory agency that can call in federal law enforcement to seize your weapon and prosecute you with a 10 year felony crime hanging over your head,
you should be fully informed.
This article state that prior to 2013 you had to notify them anytime you moved. They have since changed that and you are not required to notify them if you move within your state.

https://johnpierceesq.com/what-do-i-need-to-do-regarding-my-nfa-trust-when-i-move/

Okay then. I'm on ATF's email update and bulletins list,
and I didn't recall seeing that..,
but that's good news!
So, yay!

If ATF doesn't tell you to do it, then I wouldn't do it.
I don't think there's much additional security or safety that comes from updating them with your newest address.

If it's really important, they'll find you!

Okay then. I'm on ATF's email update and bulletins list,
and I didn't recall seeing that..,
but that's good news!
So, yay!

If ATF doesn't tell you to do it, then I wouldn't do it.
I don't think there's much additional security or safety that comes from updating them with your newest address.

If it's really important, they'll find you!
I mean i guess the safe thing to do is to fill out the form and let them tell you it doesn't matter. Heck the ATF was wishy washy about the braces so who knows.

Back
Top Bottom