• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Mr. green jeans experience while hunting.

It's generally referred to a the "commons." If everything was privately owned, we would have nowhere to enjoy nature or other areas of beauty and interest without someone else's permission. Government owned land affords us the permission to be a part of the land. There are other conservancies which also provide public access, but Uncle Sam is the largest of these. My beef is that we're taxed so heavily and still have to pay a fee to enter parks. The Grand Canyon is going to $100 admission fee if I remember correctly.

To bad you feel that way. There are a lot of people that wouldn't be able to hunt at all without public land available. BTW, the belief that public land is simply overrun with hunters just isn't true. Sure, if you stay within a couple hundred yards of a road there are going to be a lot of other hunters on certain days, like opening day of rifle, but if you get a pretty good ways away from a road it's rare for there to be other hunters. I hunted one section of public land for about five years and only saw other hunters one time from one stand and I had several stands in that general area.

It has always been much more crowded on any of the clubs that I have belonged to.

Oh ya, I have only felt in danger from another hunter one time and that was from a poacher on some private property I had access to.

I get it. You are probably right.

But the idea of scouting an area, patterning a buck, setting up multiple stands for opening day depending on the wind conditions....and then some jack legs come wandering through the spot...jump the buck out of his bed just by pure chance and unload 20 shots among the three of them...wound the buck...and leave without recovering him.

Well that’s just more than I can stand.

I almost got shot once on public land by slob hunters...heard the bullets whistle by...I literally shooed off the young buck they were throwing lead at because I was in the line of fire...that will break you from hunting public land.
I had scouted the area and hiked in almost 2 miles.
It was in Pennsylvania. Just a matter of time before GA gets that way...

I get it. You are probably right.

But the idea of scouting an area, patterning a buck, setting up multiple stands for opening day depending on the wind conditions....and then some jack legs come wandering through the spot...jump the buck out of his bed just by pure chance and unload 20 shots among the three of them...wound the buck...and leave without recovering him.

Well that’s just more than I can stand.

I almost got shot once on public land by slob hunters...heard the bullets whistle by...I literally shooed off the young buck they were throwing lead at because I was in the line of fire...that will break you from hunting public land.
I had scouted the area and hiked in almost 2 miles.
It was in Pennsylvania. Just a matter of time before GA gets that way...
I've never had that problem in Georgia. The only human caused change in movement is that the deer concentrate more in areas that are not near the roads once the season starts. At one time I left a stand on a tree for over five years and it was never disturbed. My brother just retrieved his stand from the same area that had been in place for eight of nine years.

The number of hunters on public land in Georgia is decreasing, not increasing. People are convinced they need to join a club, so that's what most have done, creating more and more elbow room on public land.

Back
Top Bottom