• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Mulch

173   0
Reaction score
ODT...question: where do I find the best deals on bark mulch? Art box store Retail DIY the best way to buy this stuff? I need lots of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you have a pickup try the wholesale supplier's. When I had a truck I would go to Luxury landscape in Lawrenceville and get a bucket load.
This, $30 ish a yd is the best deal.when HD/Lowes runs the 5 bags for $10 is a ok deal and easy to handle/install on small stuff. I buy it by the trailer load and use a two-wheeled barrow and a pitchfork to make short work of it.

Yes, buy bulk for big jobs. I pay a few extra bucks for the dyed mulch because it doesn't rot as fast. You can get two years out of it. I get mine from Mulch and More also.

You did not state whether you wanted 'decorative mulch' or decomposable mulch.
One is treated, and the other eventually turns into rich soil.

If the latter, a wood chipper, and a supply of branches, bushes, shrubs, can give it at a reduced cost in trade for your labor.

If you need truck loads of it, Most Counties have a supply of it from trimming, road sides, and have a greatly reduced price over commercial enterprises.
Public service Companies often trim branches to protect power lines, and they need to get rid of it.
Never used them, but I think many have to pay a land-fill to dump the debris.

Just some other thoughts.

This, $30 ish a yd is the best deal.when HD/Lowes runs the 5 bags for $10 is a ok deal and easy to handle/install on small stuff. I buy it by the trailer load and use a two-wheeled barrow and a pitchfork to make short work of it.

Yeah, this is what I do, I usually need 40 bags for the front of my house, I wait for this Lowes deal.

I have done it all the ways mentioned above. Things to keep in mind, wood chips are not bark mulch. It all depends on the look you are going for. The wood chips at municipal places are often nasty. As they chip up the limbs, they will also throw in all kinds of other stuff. The last time daddy got a load from the city, it was covered in oil and smelled like raw sewage. Never again.

Wood chips from tree services have to be aged before being used. Normally, about a year. This is where I get mine now. Just call all the local tree services and tell them you want chips. They will drop them off when in your area. Assuming you have somewhere to pile the chips up to let them age.

Lowes will offer a discount if you buy a full pallet, if you talk to the manager. A few years ago, that is what we did. They were having a sale and I talked to the manager, who knocked off another 25% since we bought the pallet. Bagged mulch is much easier to handle and move around. And, w/ bagged mulch you can get the desired look that you are going for.

The "mulch and more" places are great since they load it for you, but you then have to deal w/ transporting it around your yard. Crunch some numbers, I found that buying the pallet was cheaper than the bulk store.

Back
Top Bottom