• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Multi-configuration suppressors

southernrebel20

Default rank <750 posts
Frontiersman
45   0
Reaction score
So I have started suppressor shopping and thought I would ask you knowledgeable fellas for some advice. I would really like to purchase one suppressor that is configurable to work with 556/300blk carbine and 9mm pistol and it would be an added bonus if it could support .22 rimfire as well. Basically a Swiss army knife of suppressors. Are these types of suppressors more of a jack of all trades yet master of none kind of deal? Meaning, do you sacrifice decibels for the mulit-cal/platform configurability? If you own or have used one of these types of suppressors which one would you recommend?

You got a bunch of options now: Griffin Armament Optimus, Liberty Mystic X, and the Silencerco Hybrid (wouldnt recommend .22lr) are a few off the top of my head.

Sometimes you sacrifice DB for the multi-cal use but usually the can is bigger to accomodate larger calibers which means more volume so while it might register a few DB higher the tone might be different, usually deeper so it sounds quieter to you. Originally I think jack of all trades, master of none was a fitting description but manufacturers are pushing to make silencers between all the time so while it use to be that a multi-cal suppressor was large and heavy now a lot of them are modulator so you can run a shorter config which might help with size and weight but usually results in a louder signature. Of course another downside to this is strength. Couple years ago 99% of rifle cans where sealed and fully welded for strength, so when you add modular to it you are likely sacrificing strength.

If you absolutely could only afford 1 can then they are the way to go. you'll pay more up front but you get that versatility. My opinion, go with something like the Silencerco Hybrid and then get a dedicated 22 can. The reason why I wouldnt recommend 22 out of the Hybrid is because its a welded, non-user serviceable can. So its strong enough for your rifle calibers but you can't clean it properly and .22 will dirty up a can quick.

Once you buy one you will want more!
What I have and have heard from others is a
Rimfire can
45 can
300/308 can
That covers pretty much everything worth suppressing
I do have 2 rimfire though, they come in handy

Literally a waste of time trying to find one suppressor to do everything. You will be disappointed putting a .308 can on a .22.

Do yourself a favor but 2 or 3 at one time and make them caliber specific or at the very least buy a rimfire can and then a rifle can.

I love my Optimus 9 on my Scorpion Evo and my American Rimfire. That said, I haven't used it anything larger yet so I cant speak for .300blk and .308.

My experience aligns with the Lazarus Lazarus plan. Here is what i did:
- Silencerco Hybrid for rifle or pistol cal - can be direct mount or use ASR mounts. (Note: Omega is NOT rated for 9mm although it is for .30 series)
- Silencerco Sparrow for 22. You do NOT want a hybrid here for the reasons noted on cleaning plus the size/weight
- now I also have a Silencerco Octane 45 that can handle anything 45 and down in pistol caliber and interchangeable pistons or direct mounts

I am not a brand snob, just went this way based on a deal available about 2 years ago. There are benefits to staying in a brand family, certain caps, mounts, pistons can be used with multiple models.

I did not consider the durability issues that may arise from a multi-configuration can. At the end of the day I really want suppress my 556 and 300blk so I suppose I should actually be looking for a rifle can at this time since I won't be able to afford multiple ones right off the bat. I have been browsing silencer shop and there is a lot of options. What do you guys believe are some of the best features to look for in a suppressor? I definitely want one that has some sort of QD mount so it is easily removable.

The guys above have it covered well. The only other thing to consider is the weight of a can. My first can was a SpecWar762, which is a tank rated for .30 cal magnum rounds. I had a 1/2"-28 Trifecta muzzle brake for an AR, so for S&G I put the brake on my Kimber 1911-22 conversion which was also threaded 1/2"-28. While the Specwar762 suppressed the .22LR quiet well, the weight of it made the 1911 laughably unwieldy.

The guys above have it covered well. The only other thing to consider is the weight of a can. My first can was a SpecWar762, which is a tank rated for .30 cal magnum rounds. I had a 1/2"-28 Trifecta muzzle brake for an AR, so for S&G I put the brake on my Kimber 1911-22 conversion which was also threaded 1/2"-28. While the Specwar762 suppressed the .22LR quiet well, the weight of it made the 1911 laughably unwieldy.

Thats another reason why I recommend a dedicated 22 can. The weight and size of even a pistol caliber can is just too much on a smaller .22.

Back
Top Bottom